First brew error? Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwflbrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I brewed my first beer three days ago and realized now that I added the corn sugar to the brew when I added the LME. I think I mistook it for DME. What effect will this have on the beer and is there anything I should do to correct it?

My beer is actively fermenting so it doesn't seem to have impacted that.

Thanks

Nope, nothing you can do. It will just boost your alcohol a little bit. Get some more corn sugar for when you bottle and follow the directions as normal. You're in good shape so no worries.

You mean the 5 ounces you meant to use for bottling? It will have little or no impact all to your beer. Heck it will not even do much to raise the abv a notch.'

Everything'sfine.

Did you add the DME as well as the corn sugar, or did you forget the DME and *only* add the corn sugar?

If you added the sugar in addition to the DME, it will increase your gravity by about 2 points (and also your alcohol level by about .2% or so). It should have very minimal flavor impact.

However, if you completely forgot the DME and *only* added the LME and corn sugar, your gravity will be much lower than your expected gravity.

When it comes time to bottle either pick up some extra priming sugar or do I as I do and just prime with table sugar instead.

Thanks. I realize now it was a LME only kit. I watched a friend brew a few days before hand and he had a combo LME and DME recipe so I just jumped to the conclusion that mine was both. (Novice error) I will get more sugar and add it at bottling time.

Happy Brew Year to you all.

Back