Longest time in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
What's the longest you have ever had beer in your primary?

I'm not talking about whether or not you should or for advice.
I just realized that I have broken into my 6th week, O.G. was 1.077.
At this point I'm just being lazy and won't take the time to bottle it. I have got it outside in the cold for clearing, maybe I'll bottle tomorrow.

So it got me thinkin'.....

What's your record? O.G.? Was it noticeably better?

I left a beer in primary for around 8 weeks once...give or take a few days. It was around 1.090 I think. I wanted to let it sit a little longer with the higher gravity. Turned out great...but I haven't brewed it again, so I don't know how it would do with a shorter time.

I'm starting to think autolysis is a myth unless you leave it for more than a few months.

What's the longest you have ever had beer in your primary?

I'm not talking about whether or not you should or for advice.
I just realized that I have broken into my 6th week, O.G. was 1.077.
At this point I'm just being lazy and won't take the time to bottle it. I have got it outside in the cold for clearing, maybe I'll bottle tomorrow.

So it got me thinkin'.....

What's your record? O.G.? Was it noticeably better?

I just pushed one out of primary after 4 weeks. I needed the yeast for another project and the beer had stopped fermenting. 1.067 OG and out at 1.024.

So, at least 4 weeks.

5 months. I brewed a wheat and forgot about it. Opened my brew cabinet and "oh my, what's that?" Kegged it up and it tasted great.

5 months. I brewed a wheat and forgot about it. Opened my brew cabinet and "oh my, what's that?" Kegged it up and it tasted great.

You people forgetting about your beer baffle me! haha I've left beer in the primary on the yeast for over 3 months.

I left a stout in primary on White Labs Irish Ale yeast for 6 months in my crawlspace. It was fantastic.

It was in a glass carboy, so I don't know if the results would be the same in a bucket where O2 can permeate over time.

I tend to do incredibly short primaries. Probably average 7 days for ales, and 6 for lagers.

I am finding though that no matter what I do, my beer is delicious no earlier than 6 weeks after brewing. Lagers longer.

I am going to toy with 2 week primaries for ales. Lagers I like to get into the lagering phase ASAP, so those will still be coming off the yeast immediately after d-rest.

Back