Secondary Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter1932

#burp
Reaction score
Question, I've got a batch of Amber Ale and Imperial Stout in my cellar. Both have been through primary fermentation at around 65-67º. They are now in secondary in the cellar. (For what its worth, both are on Pacman yeast; the amber is 2 1/2 months old and the Imperial is 1 month old.)

My concern is I've noticed the cellar temperature rise this summer from around 65º to 71-72º. So, how important are secondary temperatures for ales, provided it doesn't exceed 72º or so? Should I plan on creating a fermentation chamber for summer use and shoot for between 65º and 68º?

Also, I'm wanting to do an IPA this summer. Question, 1. should I plan on using a yeast that prefers 70-72º, 2. make a different style that takes into consideration the ambient temperature of cellar, 3. plan on fermentation chamber, 4. not worry about it.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Temperature control for secondary is far less critical, except that getting too cool will drastically slow down aging. I'm sure there's a top-end limit, too, but I don't know how high that would be. You should be fine.

As for summer brewing, you can always put the fermenter in water with ice. That works quite well.

Secondary temperatures aren't nearly as important to maintain as fermentation temps. If it fluctuates between 65 and 71˚ you'll be fine. Even warmer isn't a bad thing, though it could affect long-term stability.

However, for the first 3-5 days of primary fermentation (provided you pitch enough yeast, when 90% of fermentation occurs), you'll want to stabilize the fermentation temperatures within the range. Even if the ambient temperature of your basement is 72˚, the fermentation temperature in the bucket/carboy could be 5-10+˚ warmer, meaning a fermentation of 77-82˚. So, 1. you could pick a belgian yeast, which likes warm temperatures, 2. Make a Belgian IPA (still an IPA!) or something like a Saison, 3. make a fermentation chamber (I just made one!) or make a swamp chiller/wet t-shirt and fan. For the cheapest way to maintain temperatures below 70˚ The swamp chiller and/or wet t-shirt is the best bet. Whatever you do you should definitely RDWHAHB.

Thanks for advise. I was thinking pretty much along the same lines, but wanted some confirmation.

Think I will work a fermentation chamber this summer.

And I might just do a Belgian IPA since conditions seem prime for it. :)

Back