First mead racked to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Today I racked a gallon of honey water must onto apples and cherries. I had to take a sample. It's only been fermenting for about a month. I used a pound and a half of honey with one gallon of water. Most people have said that in the early stages, mead is just straight nastiness. Mine was pretty much drinkable, but over poweringly sweet. Does this kind of sweetness mellow out with time or do i need to preform some kind of procedure to back it down?

Today I racked a gallon of honey water must onto apples and cherries. I had to take a sample. It's only been fermenting for about a month. I used a pound and a half of honey with one gallon of water. Most people have said that in the early stages, mead is just straight nastiness. Mine was pretty much drinkable, but over poweringly sweet. Does this kind of sweetness mellow out with time or do i need to preform some kind of procedure to back it down?

Once fermentation occurs it will be less sweet, it won't "mellow" it will dissapear. That's the thing about honey, it will mostly be eaten and converted into alcohol, very little actual honey taste will be left. Some people when fermentation is complete actually ad camden to the mead to kill theyeast, then back sweeten with honey after the fact.

It is like any of the fermenatable sugars...they mostly get eaten away and any flavor contributions are only from the unfermentables, like the darker sugars, such as brown, or mollases, or dark candy, or even darker grades of honey...The "flavonoids" come from the stuff the yeast can't eat.

That's why we back sweeten some beers like cream stouts with lactose.

It's funny when people ask about making "Honey Porters" and stuff and want to add honey...it's the same issue, and I usually use Mead as an analogy, like this.

Because when you add honey you are actually doing more to boost the ABV and dry the beer out, than to actually get any honey flavor.

That's the thing with people adding honey to beer, they really AREN'T getting much honey flavor in their beer, because it is fermenting away to alcohol, like making mead.

Which unless you kill fermentation and back sweeten with honey that won't ferment, really doesn't have that much of a sweet honey flavor. (To get a real honey flavor, use the darkest you can find, with the most concentration of flavor, or even better, use Gambrinus honey malt ProBrewer Interactive - View Single Post - Honey Malt)

So if you put a lot of honey in, it will have the same basic affect as adding table sugar to it...it's going to dry out and thin the beer, and add to the alcohol "taste."

But it will mellow out in time like any higher grave beer.....It will be like roacket fuel for awhile, then smooth out...

But in the future if you want a real honey taste then ad some honey malt to your grainbill...you will be surprised...it will taste like most people want honey beers to taste.......

So don't worry, it will be completely different in a few weeks....WHen you still ahven't gotten a replacement hydrometer, and you need to "check your fermentation" again :drunk::drunk::drunk:

For a while there I was going through hydrometers every third batch or so. Now that I have been able to mellow out a bit I have stopped breaking them. But I still keep a spare because its just a matter of time.

Hydrometer?? What's that used for??

Seriously, I haven't used it since my first AG batch more than 2 years ago.

There was a picture of claphamsa looking at one on a brew day like he didn't know what it was...priceless.

Back