Open or closed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether a guy does his primary in a bucket or a carboy with over-flow hose?

Strikes me that beer gets more sensitive as it goes, so starting in bucket, and moving to carboy for secondary and sugaring makes more sense...

What do you mean by secondary and "sugaring"?

Technically beer gets less sensitive as it ferments, because the increasing levels of alcohol can actually kill some of the nasties. It's the sweet, unfermented stuff that's really sensitive....hence the desire of brewers to have a short "lag time" from pitching to fermentation.

This doesn't really have much to do with what type of fermenter you're using, though. It is said that plastic can actually absorb oxygen, leading to off-flavors in beer. I think most people automatically want to use glass for secondary just so they can see their beer clarify....but I'm not certain about that. I just did my first primary in a 6.5gal carboy. Will my beer taste different? I doubt it, but I suppose it's a possibility. The big downside to this is cleaning all the crap out of the carboy. Much easier to wipe it out of a bucket!

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but most people tend to advocate glass. I think it's cool to watch it ferment. :cool:

Hi Sam.. by secondary, I mean the vessel in which the second phase of fermentation occurs - after 1 transfer (and the leaving behind of sludge).

By "sugaring" I meant adding corn sugar prior to bottling, to feed the remnants of the yeast in bottle, developing CO2.

One of my books indicates that beer is less sensitive in the primary phase because so much co2 is being produced that it has a protective effect.... This author also only racks the beer once.... starts in carboy, and racks into bucket when bottling..... rather than the other way around...

To me, the practical side of being able to wipe grunge out of a pail more easily than a carboy is decisive! ;)

Sam75 said:
. The big downside to this is cleaning all the crap out of the carboy. Much easier to wipe it out of a bucket!

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but most people tend to advocate glass. I think it's cool to watch it ferment. :cool:

I just recently started using oxyclean to clean my carboys. I just let it soak overnight. By morning, the scum ring is gone and a good rinse leaves it crystal clear. I haven't needed to use my carboy brush since. :cool:

Sasquatch said:
Any thoughts on whether a guy does his primary in a bucket or a carboy with over-flow hose?

Strikes me that beer gets more sensitive as it goes, so starting in bucket, and moving to carboy for secondary and sugaring makes more sense...

i use a 6.5 g glass carboy for primary, 5 g glass for secondary. the glass doesn't retain odors, stains from previous batches, cleans better, etc. plus, if the plastic gets scratched, it'll harbor possible nasties. some prefer all glass, some use a primary bucket, then glass, and some use single stage and straight to keg or bottle. the main reason for secondary is to help the beer clarify and age. some feel removing it from the trub or sediment at the bottom of the primary will keep the green beer from developing off flavors. some say it does help, some say it doesn't. matter of taste i suppose? try it both ways, and see if you notice a difference. racking to a primary bucket or bottling bucket is ideal for natural carbonation. most homebrewers who bottle do it that way. i used to before i kegged my brews.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I use carboys for everything too. I have a fermentation bucket which I keep around for emergencies, or that rare occasion where I have have a beer in the secondary and three in the primary. (I only have three carboys so I break out the old fermenter.) I don't like the idea of my beer in contact with plastic for too long. Likewise, I don't like the idea of the small scratches in the side of the pail harboring bad guys. When I do use the plastic pail for fermentation, I usually soak with bleach for a day or so, then soak with Oxyclean to get any odors/chlorine out of the plastic. It seems to work well, but glass is so much easier.

Back