Ferment mead for 3 months then bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleskull

Reaction score
Hey all, I am making a 4 and half gallon batch of traditional honey mead, no flavors added but the honey itself! right now the mead is in the bucket bubbling and then we are going to transfer the mead into a 3 gallon glass jug and the other gallon into a plastic carton.

Is it possible to let the Mead only ferment for 3 months, then bottle and drink during December of this year?

Thanks! :mug:

It's possible, it just probably won't taste very good.

My advice: Buy commercial mead this year, and save yours for next year. It'll be worth the wait.

It's possible, it just probably won't taste very good.

Agreed. My first batch was a three-month fermentation, and then it took about 5 more months before it tasted good.

Also, if you're making a show mead (just honey, no fruits/spices/whatever), I would recommend at least adding some yeast nutrient, just to make sure you don't get a super-slow or stuck fermentation.

As a rule of thumb I let my mead sitr in fermentor for six months and in the bottle for another six months to a year. Some stay in fermentor for a year.. it all comes down to what quality you want. The longer it sits the better. Best mead I ever had was a multi berry melomel that was aged six years.

Alright thanks guys!

Right now its been a week and I dont know how much Longer I should keep the mead in the bucket and then transfer it to the glass jug for its long fermentation process.

when does the bubbling stop? I live in a cold house, around 70 degress to 60.

Every batch is diffrent. The first stage you are in now is called primary. When to transfer to secondary. You watch the bubbling in you air lock. When it slows waaay down is when you switch to secondary. Primary fermentation is where the consumption of most wort sugar takes place.

Here is a great explanation of each stage and can help you judge when to switch.

Www.wyeast.com/he_b_fermentation.cfm

Most people don't like to store mead in plastic containers for long periods of time because almost all plastics are oxygen permeable, which can oxidize the mead. Try to find another glass container for the remaining gallon.

Back