Welches grape wine recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGLEICH

Reaction score
About 40 years ago a family member was making wine in a 5 gallon glass jar and she put a balloon on the top. Over the time the balloon would expand and she said when the balloon deflated the wine was done.

Have you ever heard of this technique. I don't think she poked a whole in the balloon.

Thanks

I've used the balloon method. I did poke a couple pin holes in mine. It's basically just a poor-mans airlock...

yea but there isnt any point in using this method now because air locks and bungs are pretty cheap....

Not really, except its also cheap...you can get like a bag of balloons for a dollar. Im doing it on my mead, but its just in a plastic gallon water jug, and there is no easy way to get a airlock on it...tried stabbing a hole through the lid but failed lol...balloons will fit nearly any opening...

Of course you have to poke a hole in it, or else its just going to inflate and pop off.

yea but there isnt any point in using this method now because air locks and bungs are pretty cheap....

This how I feel too.
an airlock is $1, a bung is $1, a 4L Carlo Rossi jug is $10 and it comes with free wine.

$12 total. Invest in some equipment.

when i first thought about homebrewing I looked into the balloon method, then i realized how much easier it is too just bite the bullet and invest in some equipment, you can get by without it but why make things hard when people make equipment for you. I used to cork bottles with a pair of pliers and then I got a floor corker, it cost me some cash but its alot cheaper then going to the emergency room with broken glass in your arms.

Back