(where)..Best price on a Johnson Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Draft & Kegging Specials - July 2009 | MoreBeer

Scroll down and you will see it on sale.

I got this one from morebeer last week. It is on sale for $43, I have another one just like this that works fine. If you grab another few dollars worth of items you can get free shipping as well. You may be able to find it cheaper on ebay eventually, but this is a pretty good price if you need it right away.

I just got a fridge to use as a ferm cabinet from a neighbor. I'm looking for a cheap dig controller. Looks like Ebay is the place. Should have known! :mug:

Check your left ring finger. If it has a golden ring on it, you may already have a johnson controller. :cross:

RancoEtc.com has the A419 w/probe for $64, or they have the Ranco ETC 111000 version (which seems to be exactly the same) for $59. I have seen the 419 for cheaper, but I know people who have used RancoETC in the past with good service. They had my order shipped within a couple of hours and I had the box on my front porch the next day. I don't mind paying a couple bucks extra for stellar service.

Unless there is another analog model I'm not aware of, they use different sensing technologies. The digital versions have a wired probe and the analog versions have a bulb on the end of a thin copper tube hard connected to the controller. The tube/bulb can't be replaced if it breaks but is generally cheaper.

FWIW, I use the analog model and wouldn't hesitate to do so again if I wasn't moving the probe much. I'd hate to tweak that little copper tube too many times and snap it off or worse, get a pinhole in it that I didn't know about and ruin a batch because the controller went funky on me.

Back