Free Shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
Why aren't any of the home brew supplys offering free shipping?
They should jump on the band wagon this holiday season like other retailers.
I really dont need a free t-shirt or bottle opener.
Can there margins be so small that they can't give us faithful customers a break! Sorry for the early morning rant. Merry Christmas

1. Morebeer does
2. You aren't ordering $20 shirts that weight an ounce. You are buying cheap heavy stuff. Shipping is a bigger deal for them than The Gap.

kegconnection.com is offering free shipping on orders over $100. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to take advantage of it:(

Moorebeer has free shipping on some items over $59.00. What if you want something small a hydrometer/fittings ect how about free shipping under $59.00.
It is Christmas after all.

Moorebeer has free shipping on some items over $59.00. What if you want something small a hydrometer/fittings ect how about free shipping under $59.00.
It is Christmas after all.

If I need small items like those that you listed, I hit up my LHBS or wait to piggyback those items onto a larger order.

You guy's are missing the point. Its Christmas. I'm not looking for free shipping 24-7 365 just a little Christmas gift to all those who support the business via the internet. Isn't it better to make a small profit for a short time and gain loyal customers than to say were not making our 40 to 80% mark up so screwdge you.

You guy's are missing the point. Its Christmas. I'm not looking for free shipping 24-7 365 just a little Christmas gift to all those who support the business via the internet. Isn't it better to make a small profit for a short time and gain loyal customers than to say were not making our 40 to 80% mark up so screwdge you.

I understand your reasoning, but we're not talking big national retailers here who are trying to maximize profits and increase consumer spending in an economy that's in the crapper right now. Do you really think a 40- 80% markup is accurate?

Sure, I wouldn't mind a holiday gift of free shipping, but the lack of one from the online homebrew suppliers that I support isn't going to sour me on their business. Hell, the $6.99 flat rate is probably comparable to what I'd spend in gas driving to the two LHBS that I patronize from time to time.

To weigh in from a HBS side of the discussion, free shipping on orders is difficult to do for most stores. The items that are shipped tend to be heavy which does not help, and the overall volume of sales is a huge factor.

A simple example:

Buy a sack of grain for $50 (20% profit) = $10 profit less $20 shipping = -$10
Buy a sack of grain for $50 (30% profit) = $15 profit less $20 shipping = -$5
Buy a sack of grain for $50 (40% profit) = $20 profit less $20 shipping = $0
Buy a sack of grain for $50 (50% profit) = $25 profit less $20 shipping = $5
Buy a sack of grain for $50 (80% profit) = $40 profit less $20 shipping = $20

80% profit is very high estimate, and even with that, $20 per sale needs to cover all other expenses. You have to sell a lot to make it even a little bit worth it.

We offer $6.99 flat shipping because that is the smallest amount we can charge to help offset the average shipping cost. It does not sound like a lot, but it makes a huge difference in being able to keep prices low.

Ed

Lets face it - free shipping is, for the most part, a gimmick. You don't get free shipping, you only get products with the shipping cost worked into their cost.

Homebrew stores, online and local, are there for one purpose - to make money! If they aren't making a good profit, they wont last. Even with shipping, many online stores are cheaper than your local store when you have an order big enough that it's worth their time to deal with it.

Do you really think that a HBS is going to make money with free shipping on a $10 hydrometer, $3 shipping, $1 box, and $1 to the employee that picks and packs the hydrometer? With larger orders all those costs are spread out over more items - thus the somewhat common free shipping after $XXX

All that to say - support your LHBS when you can (you'll avoid shipping...), get your large orders online if it makes financial sense. And pay shipping.

Well, to be honest, lots of the stores that I've been looking at lately offer up some pretty good deals besides the shipping. Some offer flat rate shipping, which is pretty nice, but not free.

It's true that on flat rate shipping the cost is built in the price of the product, and yes businesses are in busines to make money. I don't think that free shipping one day a year would sink the boat. When you go to a bar the bartender allways (at least the ones I go to) buys you 1 or 2 on the house and I allways leave a good tip. Thats all I'm looking for with the free shipping. Good customer relations=loyal customers.

I don't expect free shipping from these guys we aren't talking about amazon or something like that hbs don't have the same volume or profit margins.
Edit: Oh nos lets not get into the free drink argument again seems to me we had this some time back and most of us agreed that you shouldn't expect free drinks from your bar tender.

Back