Hop storage time limits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the post on the Hops Direct sale and am drooling at the thought of purchasing 10 lbs. of hops for about $0.62 per lb. instead of the usual $3 from my LHBS...

Question is, how long can I store my hops? I am assuming that these are last year's models already. I have looked at the 'official' answer, but I am looking for real world experience. I will store them in my freezer, and will probably need to invest in a FoodSaver.

Based on my past brew levels, I am estimating that I would get around 50 batches out of these hops, so that would be at least 13 months worth of brewing to comply with the legal limits ;)

Any thoughts on the specific question of "Am I overbuying", or more generically how long the hops could be stored

From what I've read they only lose about 5% of their potency after 1 year.

That statement leads me to another question... Does the 5% refer to percentage of the starting AA% (i.e., 5% off of 16%, so it is now 15.2%) or 5% less than the starting % (i.e., 16% is 11% after a year).

I knew you would ask that...so I tried to avoid it...I'm certain it's the .8% loss.

But one would want to argue that if it's stored frozen and airtight is there really any loss? ;)

Asking a hop supplier could help, but then again they're in the business of selling hops aren't they? ;)

EDIT: I just sent the question to Puterbauch Hops.

The problem is exactly how old are your hops when you get them? I don't have any way of truely determining this. There's the rub if you ask me.

The problem is exactly how old are your hops when you get them? I don't have any way of truely determining this. There's the rub if you ask me.

As someone posted in the thread about the sale going on, HopsDirect is known to be a reputable vendor, so they 'should' be storing them correctly, even though they are from last season.

I pulled the trigger on 10# this afternoon. Should be in good shape for the next year or so.

Item 01: 1 each HCOLP1 Columbus Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 12.75
Item 02: 1 each HCEP1 Centennial Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 10.75
Item 03: 2 each HFUGP1 Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75
Item 04: 1 each HHALGP1 Hallertau Pellets (GR) 1 lb. $ 10.75
Item 05: 1 each HMALU1 Magnum (US) Pellets: 1 lb. $ 9.75
Item 06: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.75
Item 07: 2 each HVANP1 Vanguard Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75
Item 08: 1 each HCASP1 Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.75

Now I just need to find a good bag of 2-row and MO for free, and I'll be all set. :D

Thanks for all the responses....

Buh Bang! What a great price on hops! I ordered 3 pounds immediately when I saw those prices! Buh by crabby LHBS guy who sells me ounces of hop powder/schwag/shake for 3 bucks!

Buh Bang! What a great price on hops! I ordered 3 pounds immediately when I saw those prices! Buh by crabby LHBS guy who sells me ounces of hop powder/schwag/shake for 3 bucks!

Those are some damn good prices. I used to know a guy like that in college. Maybe he got a job at your LHBS!!!:ban:

Back