How long do the rhino farts last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
My apfelwein has been in primary for two days and is laying down the funk...how long will the smell last?

Not everyone even gets them, so they could go for another day, another week, a month, or it could quit tonight. It will probably subside within 3-5 days though.

I had mine last 1 week in 76* room. The second batch (Same Juice) was fermented at 66* no rhino farts..

I wonder why some people get them and others don't. Maybe it has something to do with the dissolved oxygen in there since it seems to happen during the start of fermentation.

I can't remember what exactly I did, I think I shook it all really hard in carboy to get a bunch of oxygen dissolved in it when I first prepared the brew, but all I got was a very slight apple/sour-apple smell around day two. Some people might even like that smell.

Yeah this sucks.both car boys of cider had them one went way in two days and the other is on day.six now still reeks!! Ugh

Started one yesterday ..... I have a feeling I may need to take the carboy out of the bedroom :D

When I got the rhino farts I cooled my carboy down with the swamp cooler method. (sit carboy in tub of water, put shirt over carboy so it soaks up water, and hit it with the fan). This dropped mine down in to the low to mid 60's and my rhino farts went away within a few hours.

HH60gunner... what temperatures were you seeing originally to get down in the 60's with this method? (for curiosity sake)

Back