Question about Wyeast Roselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewitt said:
Sampled my sour once again. This time I measured the SG. 1.006. I don't know whether that is a moving number since last time I measured it was before the grape addition. It was 1.002 but I have no idea how many points the grapes initially added. But at least now I have a baseline.

I also carbonated my gravity sample using a soda stream and took a taste. The sourness is great! The carbonation seems to bring out the Brett character a little more strongly. Overall, I think this is going to be a winner. However, I will lose a lot to the mixture of heavy pellicle and floating grapes. I'm guessing I will get a gallon out of this in the end. The good thing is it is powerful enough to blend or to drink in four ounce glasses. Probably going to shoot for about 3 volumes of carbonation but that won't happen for a number of months.

You're exciting me ;)

Yeah, patience is not my strongpoint. I might have consumed this as gravity samples before it goes into bottles ;) Trying to restrict myself to no more than every couple months.

Just tasted an 8 month old Oud Bruin that's been on a single smack pack of Roselare in the primary, and it was tart, funky, beautiful. No reason to secondary, IMO. Good luck!

I'm also going to re pitch onto the same cake. Always learning!

Nice. I just brewed an Oude Bruin a couple of weeks ago and pitched one pack of Roselare. I intend to keep it in primary until it reaches the desired level of sourness, whether that is at 3 months or 18 months.

Nice. I just brewed an Oude Bruin a couple of weeks ago and pitched one pack of Roselare. I intend to keep it in primary until it reaches the desired level of sourness, whether that is at 3 months or 18 months.

I just brewed the AG Nothernnbrewer Oude Bruin recipe and pitched Roaelare directly from a smack pack. Trying to keep the temp around 70. My plan is around 2 months in the primary. Advice seems to vary on when to secondary. ai am not sure how to judge sourness level. I have had several Berliner Weisse varieties in Berlin, but never a Oude Bruin. Can anyone compare the sourness levels of the two?

Back