Newbie looking to get brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeeater852

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been doing some recon and looking to get a good starter kit. I think I'm going with the Northern Brewer deluxe kit and will get a few extras (hydrometer, bottle tree, and vinator). Also, I thinking of getting a larger pot (8-10 gal) for 5 gal full boils, and future HLT use when full grain brewing. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris :mug:

I use the northern brewer essential kit. I like it, if that helps any. Also if I want to upgrade all I have to do is order a carboy!

Midwest supplies everything #2 kit. Comes with kettle n hydro and few other things. It's the kit I picked up and I am happy with it.

I started with the NB deluxe kit. I felt it was the most complete for the money ( and still do). A HYDROMETER IS INCLUDED unless it has changed.

I opted for Better Bottles. Glass is too heavy and dangerous, IMO.

Get the Vinator! It is one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

Get the 10 gallon pot if you can afford it. Larger if you plan all grain bigger than 5 gallon batches.

I definitely recommend going with the full boil option. Morebeer has an economy 8 gallon modified kettle so you can and a ball valve and thermometer.

LazyEye said:
I definitely recommend going with the full boil option. Morebeer has an economy 8 gallon modified kettle so you can and a ball valve and thermometer.

It goes for $90. You can buy a stainless valve and thermometer from bargain fittings or Bobby Ms brewhardware.com for about $40 an have a goo kettle with everything you need under $150. I think morebeer will cut the lid for you if you buy the immersion wort chiller and free shipping

I'd get a 10 gallon pot for sure as long as you have a way to get 6-7 gallons to a full boil.

If you get the bottling tree buy an extra ring (each holds 9 bottles). After you finish a beer rinse it well with hot water (give it a quick eyeball to see that it's clean) and put it on the tree.
Estimate your consumption rate so that you have a batch ready to bottle when the tree is full. (54 bottles).
On bottling day spray each clean bottle (stored neatly on your tree) with 2-3 pumps on the vinator (I use about a quart of Starsan) and fill.

bosco

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful

KH54s10 I agree best for the $$. i am going with NB deluxe kit, but according to the website hydrometer isn't included. Better bottles, vinator, and 10.5 gallon pot is also on the shopping list along with a few other misc items

Lazyeye I think the 10.5 economy kettle from polar ware will be good for me and ill install valve myself. Also going to make wort chiller at home

boscobeans no problem getting to that to a boil. thanks for the idea on bottles

Back