Hop Filter Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alefebvre

Reaction score
I came across a DIY for a hop spider last year and decided to build one. The suggested hop screen for the filter of the hop spider is a paint strainer bag. However, I came across these this weekend (see attached picture) and was wondering if anybody had some insight on wether these could handle high boiling temperatures and not be toxic or impart off flavours.

Thanks in advanced for the replies,

Andrew

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Says they're made from beverage bottles. Throw a water bottle in a pot of boiling water and see what happens. I don't think its a good idea but who knows, maybe they can hold up to boiling. Why not just buy a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from the home depot though? I think you get 2 for 5 bucks.

Says they're made from beverage bottles. Throw a water bottle in a pot of boiling water and see what happens. I don't think its a good idea but who knows, maybe they can hold up to boiling. Why not just buy a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from the home depot though? I think you get 2 for 5 bucks.

PET starts to decompose around 300c so boiling may be ok - but he should still try one in boiling water before throwing it into a brew with his hops.

Reason for not getting paint strainer bags was I just happened to see these at the grocery store for really cheap and figured I'd take the risk for the $1.50 spent. Does anyone know if paint strainer bags are even food grade or can handle boiling temps.

Reason for not getting paint strainer bags was I just happened to see these at the grocery store for really cheap and figured I'd take the risk for the $1.50 spent. Does anyone know if paint strainer bags are even food grade or can handle boiling temps.

You can get the 1 or 3 gal strainer bags in 2 packs for like 2 bucks. You can probably use these, but as suggested earlier, you'd better test it first. Who knows if they work.

It's a known fact that hop and grain bags (aside from muslin bags) are simply paint strainer bags. They're so cheap that I usually just throw away the bag after I've used it, and grab another one from my pack.

Also, off topic, but they can be really good for filtering yeast and hop trub from your fermenter when racking into bottles or kegs. Simply wrap one around the end of the racking cane and secure with a rubber band.

Alefebvre said:

Paint strainer bags are not marked as food grade but you just have to launder them until they don't have any odors.

Many, many, many people use them to boil hops.

Paint strainer bags are not marked as food grade but you just have to launder them until they don't have any odors.

Many, many, many people use them to boil hops.

Paint strainer bags shouldnt have any smell to them in the first place. I get mine from Lowes (in a blue plastic packing) and simply dip them in some StarSan solution and "wash" them for just a sec right before using them. Never had a single problem, never any off flavors, etc.

Back