We're gonna need a bigger mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Oh, never mind. Got it.

140g.jpg

140 gallon, jacketed. Winning.

Are you ****ing kidding me? That thing is OUTSTANDING! What was it used for in its original life (I'm assuming this wasn't originally a mash tun).

Yes, it's for the Whales brewing system. We started with a 1.5BBL system with two 55 stainless drums and a 37g cooler. The mashtun was the bottleneck at that point. We then realized we could brew a 80 gallon batch by splitting the water/wort heating between the two tanks. We were borrowing a member's 100g wine tank for mashing but he wasn't interested in selling it to the club. I think this 140 tun is oversized for what we'd ever do, but it was donated so who's complaining. It already has a 2" TC drain at the very bottom side. All I need now is a 31" round false bottom. Ouch.

Truly a beautiful sight.

Bobby_M said:
All I need now is a 31" round false bottom. Ouch.

You might try the scrap piles at your local metal suppliers. I picked up a piece of perf SS that would just be big enough for that, and it only cost me $10. I made several keggle size FBs out of it.

Bobby_M said:
See that little guy? That's a 55 gallon.

.... Who you callin' little? So if you do the math, gallon of water is about 8 lbs, 140 gallons, that's over HALF A TON! I hope you have a fork lift handy.

Back