How to clean Aluminum Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caldridge32

Reaction score
I need to know the best way to save a aluminum kettle from what looks like its grave. See picture to help.. I believe some of the discoloration is mold. How should I attack this beast

image-664220394.jpg

I have had mold in an aluminum pot. Just clean it like anything else in your kitchen, soap, water and scrub. I wouldn't worry about the remainder mold in ruining your beer. The boiling will kill everything and I have never noticed anything taste wise. I have heard that you're not supposed to use oxyclean.

Looks like the normal oxidation layer to me. The last thing you want is a shiny aluminum kettle! I say just scrub it good with some PBW or even dish soap and use as is. Even if you scrubbed it until it was completely shinny inside, you'd want to boil water in it before you brewed to build up that black layer again.

By the way, PBW\Oxi-clean is safe on aluminum, provided you only use it to wash quickly and rinse but not soak it for long periods of time. Soaking will actually start to eat the aluminum.

Looks fine to me... Just clean it down with a soapy cloth to get the organics off of it and then let it dry out. The dark colored part is a good thing since that's a layer of aluminum oxide. You WANT that in the pot, since it's a naturally occurring, VERY HARD barrier between your wort and the aluminum. Generally speaking, pots used to brew in are that color (or even darker) inside. You want that wherever wort will touch, to have that barrier.

Do NOT use harsh/abrasive cleaners to remove it.

Back