Batch Sparge Braid Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this question at the end of a DIY post, but I thought it might get lost.

I set up my mash tun for batch sparging but haven't trimmed the stainless steel braid yet.

3215-100_0491.JPG

Should I leave the braid as is, or trim it so it can lay straight across the bottom?

I would trim it. I don't think the extra braid length makes any difference. I run mine the length of the cooler. You might consider adding some weight to the end to keep it from floating.

BassBurner said:
Add some weight? How about 19.5 lbs of grain? :p
I don't weigh down mine but it does surface when I am stirring up the mash. I use the cooler to regulate the temp during fermentation and coil it before putting the carboy into it.

No need to trim. Mine is 4' long and has both ends fastened to a tee going to the spigot. This gives the wort 2 routes to the drain. I anchored mine in a couple of places with some plastic clips and super glue.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Here is what I did. I took a 3/8" to 5/8" brass coupling attached it to the end of the brass and then put a 5/8" brass end on that. It has a good bit of weight to it. So far works for me.
4137-DSC_0038.JPG

4137-DSC_0037.JPG

I would say....if you plan on stiring your mash....trim it because it will get caught up and twisted around your mash paddle/spoon.
If you do not stir your mash, then you could just leave it.

Back