Removing (commercial) wine labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fill them with water and let them sit overnight in a pan of water. If the labels don't just fall off, then I give a tentative scrape to one corner with a knife. If the glue stays sticky underneath then they get junked. If it scrapes and cleans with a scratchy pad and washing liquid then I may persevere. Some labels will peel dry if the glue is warmed slightly in the oven first but after six or so bottles then your fingertips tend to follow too.

I absolutely HATE bottles with non soak-able off-able labels.... it is inconsiderate in the extreme. I learn which fall off easily and only buy those wines.

The latest resort is to design my own labels to be slightly larger than the commercial ones and stick them over the top. No removing at all. Just costs a bit more in sticky printer paper.

Very nice friends give bottles with the labels already off. Reward those sorts of friends with wine and jams.

Latest posts

Back