Yay! Boiling Pot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
Hey guys I just got my beer supply order from Austin Homebrew Supply and I was delighted with what I found.

A few days ago I ordered a bunch of equipment that is about equivalent to a intermediate kit, I have a plastic fermenter, glass carboy secondary, autosiphon etc. And I also ordered a boiling pot. I really wanted a 20qt boiling pot but the 16qt was on sale for 9.99 while the 20qt was 24.99, I decided to go with the 16qt cause of the bargain.

Anyways my stuff got here I was going through everything trying not to get those damn styrofome peanuts all over the place when I found my boiling pot lid. First thing I noticed was it was kinda dusty and had a tiny dent in it, which made me a little sad, stupid dent. Then I pulled the actual pot out and was overcome with joy when I found they had sent me a 20qt pot! Woohoo. I don't know if they were just out of the 16qt's or made a mistake but I am definately happy with the order. This hobby is awsome, I never thought I could get so excited about a clunky peice of kitchenware. Anyways just thought I would share, thanks for reading. Take care everyone.

EDIT: Thought I would mention that they only charged me for the 16qt, WOOHOO.

Patrick

Porter fan said:
Do the right thing man give em a call let em know what ya got.. :rolleyes:

Aww. The right thing. :(. I guess i'll give them a call. Maybe they will let me keep it.

homebrewer_99 said:
Imagine how happy you'll be when you get married and register at the local homebrew supply store! :D :D

Or better yet: get married to the daughter of the owner of the local homebrew supply store.

I called AHBS and they appolgized for sending the wrong product. They offered to pay for shipping for me to send it back and they would overnight me a 16qt, or I could just keep the one they sent. As eager as I was to get that 16qt (yeah right), I didn't want to put them through the hassle of having to pay for the shipping for me to send mine back and them to send the other pot, so I opted to just keep the 20qt. It was definately not a bad business decision for them, I will definately buy from AHBS again in the future. Now I don't have to be quite as careful about boil over, since I will have a little more head room.

Damn...I paid about $50 for my 22qt pot at Walmart. I have to say that it's a very nice pot though. It's thick, has a glass lid and some sort of three metal alloy bottom.

Probably the same quality you got. I just did a search for it, but couldn't find it on Walmart's site and I pulled off the sticker on Monday when I made my last brew.

My wife always curses me when I'm meticulously cleaning my brew bits.... she wonders why I'm not as excited about cleaning out the bacon pan.

Sasquatch said:
My wife always curses me when I'm meticulously cleaning my brew bits.... she wonders why I'm not as excited about cleaning out the bacon pan.

Hmmm. I seem to have the same "problem". :D

Cheesefood said:
Damn...I paid about $50 for my 22qt pot at Walmart. I have to say that it's a very nice pot though. It's thick, has a glass lid and some sort of three metal alloy bottom.

Probably the same quality you got. I just did a search for it, but couldn't find it on Walmart's site and I pulled off the sticker on Monday when I made my last brew.

I have that exact same pot. It's been good to me. ;)
I figure now that I have my Sabco kettle for brewing this one can be used for crab boils. I've been planning on recreating a classic Emeril episode (2 Emeril references in one day? Am I mad?) of a huge crab boil, and doing the whole shebang outside. Maybe when (if?) Desertbrew makes his way out here it will be a good excuse for it (that'll give him some motivation...hehe....). :D

Crab boil in homebrewed beer? Does it get ANY better than that?

how to really "clean" a kettle (with a naughty, nasty pastlife) before boiling wort? TSP?
Dawn? that jelled, cooked on peanut oil residue basically ignores hot water and soap.

NEPABREWER said:
how to really "clean" a kettle (with a naughty, nasty pastlife) before boiling wort? TSP?
Dawn? that jelled, cooked on peanut oil residue basically ignores hot water and soap.

What really cuts the crud off of the stove top and ventahood for me, is the Orange Glo stuff. I even use the generic brands and they work well. Sometimes you have to spray it on and let it soak a second, but it works on that built up greasy film. Might be worth a try. If it doesn't work on Peanut oil, it's always handy around the kitchen....

try simple green.
I used to use it back in college to clean the resin out of glass bongs, and that has to be nastier then peanut oil schmenk.

Back