Brew Chicks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
Sorry to be creating so many posts lately, but getting back into brewing has me excited!!!

So, any women out there into brewing??? Any brewing girls who are also expert snowboarders in the Seattle area perchance? Just curious :cross:

I would guess the ratio of male to female in the brewing community is pretty darn out of balance. Why might this be?

Very few women brew, the ratio is lower than motorcycling. Maybe 2-3%.

I suspect it is because most women do not like bitter flavors.

There might be some interest from our SWMBO's in a brew junkie support group. Other that that, this place is a MAJOR sausage fest

BrewmanBeing said:
Sorry to be creating so many posts lately, but getting back into brewing has me excited!!!

So, any women out there into brewing??? Any brewing girls who are also expert snowboarders in the Seattle area perchance? Just curious :cross:

I would guess the ratio of male to female in the brewing community is pretty darn out of balance. Why might this be?

I thought this was a homebrewing forum, not the personals section!:D

well my swmbo brews more than i do half the time and she posts here.. i think she is one of the few and far between..

i think that if it were between me and beer.. i may have to do some serious talking! lol

I don't know why more women don't brew- it's a total blast. Maybe it's a perception problem- you know, guys with beer guts slamming brews down. I've totally gotten into this craft beer making, and I'd love to see more of us around here.

The only thing that's intimidating for me is all-grain. Not because it's difficult to brew it, but because of the equipment. You men are always building something and modifying things. I built a poor-woman's lagerator out of a cooler and some styrofoam sheeting, but that's the end of my abilities to use power tools. Buying the stuff ready made is costly, so I don't see that happening soon.

I'd love to meet people in my area who are all-grain brewers, so I can watch and learn. It's tough trying to do it alone, so I'm thankful for this forum.

Nothing is more exciting then making a fantastic beer and watching my husband's(HWMO?) eyes light up when I come up to him and and offer my wares. He likes the beer, too.

Lorena

lorenae said:
Nothing is more exciting then making a fantastic beer and watching my husband's(HWMO?) eyes light up when I come up to him and and offer my wares. He likes the beer, too.

Lorena

It's HWMBS.

(He Who Must Be Submissive)

In the Old days women were the brewers. Men considered it in line to cooking and they'd rather wrestle, go to war and drink the stuff than brew it. My "History of Ale and Beer" book explains when the corssover occured but I believe I leant it out to someone.

BTW Mandy, one of the brewers at paddockwood ( I believe she's temp. left to go get her degree in brewing chemistry) is female and well:
tank-top.jpg

It is true that many women like to get drunk just like men, but beer is held in a much different light for men. Guys have a certain reverance for beer and take pride in it. Even simply drinking a beer is a proud moment and great achievment.

A lot of women just don't have the right attitude.:cross:

My SWMBO likes to drink my brew, but so far she hasn't tried brewing. I think she's intimidated by all the fire and the boiling wort and the heavy lifting and the glaven.

lorenae said:
Well, that's why it's so hard to meet brewers in my area! The other 4 people in the UP drink Bud Light.

Lorena

C'mon say it like a Yooper: Da udder 4 peoples in Da Yoop drink Bud Light, aina?

(just kiddin, ya know:D actually it sound more like Sheboyganese;) )

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
In the Old days women were the brewers. Men considered it in line to cooking and they'd rather wrestle, go to war and drink the stuff than brew it. My "History of Ale and Beer" book explains when the corssover occured but I believe I leant it out to someone.

BTW Mandy, one of the brewers at paddockwood ( I believe she's temp. left to go get her degree in brewing chemistry) is female and well:
tank-top.jpg

Does she snowboard? What size is her ring finger? :D

Funny thing is I think my wife is a little jealous of this place and drops little hints about it every now and then. I'm like, I'd have to turn gay first and then cheat on you. One of the two might happen, but probably not both.;)

I agree with Lorenae and do not understand why more women don't do it. My friends like my beer but don't want to brew. I think it is like cooking! I do have to say I am sick of the weird looks I get from the guys at my LHBS.

Pumbaa said:
get her to buy you a nice brew sculpture and she wont have to worry about the heavy lifting . . .

I'm working on a HERMS....I told her she could easily brew after that's done.

I heard that Fooley guy likes to chat about brewing, look him up on his instant messanger. Hey may even snow board if it will make you like him more:cross:

ablrbrau said:
C'mon say it like a Yooper: Da udder 4 peoples in Da Yoop drink Bud Light, aina?

(just kiddin, ya know:D actually it sound more like Sheboyganese;) )
:off:
ROFLMAO actually more like ya just walked in off Packard Ave.

BTW if ya live in the LP your a troll right? - under the bridge
Are Fudgies WI people or?
We all know what FIB's are:p

veggiess said:
I agree with Lorenae and do not understand why more women don't do it. My friends like my beer but don't want to brew. I think it is like cooking! I do have to say I am sick of the weird looks I get from the guys at my LHBS.

It's all in their marketing. Just watch any commercial from BMC and it's all targeted at guys, with only minimal advertising campaigns spent on targeting women...

So guys like to drink. I know plenty of women that do as well. I know a few that would really enjoy this hobby/sport/way of life IF they learned more about it. So I guess it would be up to me to get them started and THAT's a scary thought. I also guess it would be smart of us to try to educate every woman we meet on a day in day out basis on the joy of "brewing your own".

But it would be cool...

And FWIW veggiess, next time you get a "look" at the LHBS, remind them that your chromosomes were brewing beer long before their chromosomes were....

Ize

veggiess said:

You're a girl?!@!
:confused:

How did I not know this until now?
:drunk:

<thinks back to all previous posts>
okay...
:eek:

Pumbaa said:
:off:
ROFLMAO actually more like ya just walked in off Packard Ave.

BTW if ya live in the LP your a troll right? - under the bridge
Are Fudgies WI people or?
We all know what FIB's are:p

Yah der hey- youse guys know all da ways we talk up here doncha know. Fudgies are ok, but FIBs are a whole different story. Lotsa trolls now, hunting season is starting.

Veggiess is a girl, but you guys didn't notice because she doesn't have a smutty avatar like I do.

Billybrew's wife is a bit jealous of us, huh? My husband call you guys "Lorena's imaginary friends".

Lorena

lorenae said:
Veggiess is a girl, but you guys didn't notice because she doesn't have a smutty avatar like I do.

Cheesefood's had his share of smutty avatars, but I'm pretty sure he's a bloke...

Where's he been lately, anyway? He doesn't seem to be around all that much.

Back