Airlock creating vacuum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1365

Reaction score
I brewed an English bitter yesterday, everything went fine. Mash, sparge, boil, cool, etc. all went fine. Filled my airlock with vodka as I usually do and into the swamp cooler. I wake up this morning and switch out my frozen water bottles only to notice over half of the vodka is now missing. I assume that I just didn't fill it up as much as I thought I did and refill to where it should be. Fast forward to this afternoon. I go to switch out the bottles and once again my airlock has about half the vodka I put in earlier. While examining it this time I accidentally bump the airlock (3 piece) and the whole thing drains down into the carboy. I have refilled once again and I am just wondering what is going on here? Normal? Problem? I have no idea.

It sounds like you closed it up while it was warm, and it's cooled off now. Since the inside is cooling, it'll make a vacuum. Pull off the airlock now that it's cooled, and stick it back on. It'll equalize.

Yooper's right, your brew was warm and the cooling effect lowered the pressure inside you primary. I usually leave the airlock off for several hours with a cloth or something else to cover the opening (so no flying nasties get into the beer). After a few hours of additional cooling, I put my airlock in place and have had no problems.

Salute! :mug:

Yeah, sadly I figured it out right after posting. I havn't had any problems since. Now I just wait for fermentation to start.

Back