New to brew - frementing temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpreston

Reaction score
First off let me say this will be my first brew :ban:. The kit I bought is a Midwest home brewing kit- Liberty cream ale with the dry Muntons active brewing yeast package. My question is I want to brew but the temp in my house is at 70* during the day will this be ok or should i wait till the temp gets lower. I see all over the temp ranges for ales from 62 - 74 and I need to figure out how I figure this out for myself. Thanks for the help.

I don't know about the Mutons yeast but with US-05 you can get so-so results with an ambient temp of 70. You should look into putting your fermenter in tub of watter. I add frozen 2L bottles of watter to cool mine down.

It's also important that your beer remain at a constant temp during fermentation, and since the yeast generate heat it requires some sort of cooling process. Better to ferment at a slightly higher but consistent temp than starting low and swinging 6-8 degrees during fermentation.

For a first beer I wouldn't worry about it too much, you will make beer and you will like it.

One thing to take into consideration is that your beer in the fermenter will be at a higher temperature than ambient. Those yeast are going to be active and they are going to be warming that beer up. So pay more attention to the temperature of the beer in the fermenter than the ambient temperature. (Can use a stick on thermometer or a temp controller with the probe attached to the side of the carboy and insulated or in a thermowell)

I would recommend looking at a temperature controller and some way to cool your beer in the future. Either with a chest freezer or make yourself a Son Of Fermentation Chiller for cheap.

FOR SURE get yourself some stick on thermometers (pet stores have them for aquariums) and monitor the temp IN the carboy, not the ambient temp in the room.

Now, what is a 'Son Of Fermentation Chiller'?

not familiar with that yeast, but being dry, you may get some esters in there at 70. i don't know for this yeast, just a rule of thumb i use for dry (when i use them). I would say if you can get a tub large enough submerse at least 3/4 way up your fermentor, it would be best to try to keep at 65ish. remember the temp inside your fermentor will be higher than the ambient temp because of the metabolic processes taking place.
:tank:

As has been said, an ambient temp of 70 will give a fermentation temp of 75-80. You can moderate temperature swings by putting the carboy or bucket in a tub with water. Additionally, if you want to drop the temp you can affix a t-shirt to the outside of the carboy, put both in water and point a fan towards it.

Having said that, it’s your first brew. You may want to just go as is and experience a few full flavors.

Just a wet T-shirt and a fan will help immensely.

This is my rubbermaid tub with two frozen 2L bottles. Its out in the 90+ heat in my brew shed and the watter is in the mid 60s. They only need to be at that temp for four days. I have a window mount air conditioner for it but I think I'll go on a Belgian binge soon.

inthebrewshed.JPG

Thanks for all the advise, I put my fermenter in a bucket with water and dropped in some frozen water bottles now and then to keep it around 67-68.

I put a wet tshirt on my carboy and tipped the sleeve of it in a jug of water when I racked into primary last weekend. It has kept a consistent 64 degrees in the fermenter while the ambient temperature has swung from 68 to 78 degrees.

It's great I would recommend it and will do it with every batch until I get a temp controlled fridge.

Back