RIMS and HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone tell me why they are happier with a more expensive and complicated system.

In my own case, I am experimenting with an ad hoc HERMS in an effort to improve my consistency. My effiency while batch sparging was not as reliable as I would like, and I put that down to my own lack of skill and due dilligence. I was also not happy about the amount of grain particles making it through to the boil kettle.

I have only done two brews on my ghetto set up, but already I have managed to match the efficiency on both grews. The efficiency into the BK is up about 15 points from my average while batch sparging, and the wort into the BK is now crystal clear since adding the fly sparge to my system.

For me, I think HERMS will be the way to go. For others it will not. It's all down to our own strengths, weaknesse, likes and dislikes I guess.

Edit: Apart from $27 for copper, I have made my MK1 with stuff I already had. I can alreay see that it will be worth my while now to spring the cash to build it properly.

Edit: Apart from $27 for copper, I have made my MK1 with stuff I already had. I can alreay see that it will be worth my while now to spring the cash to build it properly.

Can't argue with a price of $27. I think that's what your average batch of beer costs me these days.

I often wonder why all the complexity also. Yes, we like toys. I really like building the hardware. I went from simple cooler infusion mashing to a stainless MLT so that I MIGHT play around with step mashing in the future. Then I found that it's hard to hold temps in that metal tun in the winter time so you start recirculating (direct fired RIMS is what I'd call that). Then I found that I shouldn't directly fire on a thick mash so you upgrade to a full false bottom to keep only liquid on the flame. I'm also frustrated with not being able to run my MLT burner low enough to guarantee I'm not overheating. I need to really sit down and think about what I want to get out of a brewing system rather than just keep adding things that seem like fun or to fix incremental problems.

I like Pol's setup but I'd feel a slight bit better about having stainless vessels with the same insulation qualities. It's a lot easier to do if you're using electric because the insulation doesn't need to endure heat passed 212F.

I am building my rig not for complexity but for simplicity. For me a well put together system where I flip some switches, valves, and hoses, is easier, more repeatable, and enjoyable than my current brew day of running around collecting and setting up parts, cleaning things and all then and outs of a regular brew day.

Also, I am much more apt to keep a nice system clean because it actually looks nice when it is clean. My current rig is just a beater until I collect all my parts.

... that, and I have a stainless addition that many liken to heroin.

Pol do you mash out with the herms or do you just maintain recirc target temps.

I use it to tweak my mash temps and to mashout as well.

FWIW... more complex systems, actually speed up the brew day. I mean, if you can set a digital temp on a controller, well, that is all you have to do. Pumps move fluid, the vessels are never opened. The HERMS takes all of the work out of mashing, mashing out and sparging...

Electricity takes the work out of having to go to Uhaul to get a tank filled before you brew.

It is easy... I have brewed in a cooler with single infusions, on a VERY simple system, but it was much more labor intensive to brew. There is also a level of repeatability that automation gives you.

Back