Floating Sediment in my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warhost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I cracked open my firmentation bucket and am transferring the beer to the bottling bucket, but there is an awful lot of floating, suspended sediment in the beer. Using a pre-made american wheat kit from pelletized hops and liquid extract.

Is this normal? I'd rather not gross-out potential drinkers.

EDIT: By the way, this sediment is flaky, not just yeast.

A picture would help but it sounds normal and you have not given the beer enough time to clear and let everything drop bright. If the beer is completely done fermenting and is at FG them give it another week to clear. If you want you can cold crash the vessel for a few days to speed up the clearing and then bottle.

How long has it been fermenting and has it reached FG? Have you tasted and smelled it?

Definitely need a picture. How big are the flakes and what do they taste like?

Honestly, this is my first gig, so I don't know. I've already bottled it by now and put in the priming sugar solution. It was probably, as I hear, "yeast rafts" or whatever. It was definitely done fermenting. It sat in the fermentation bucket for six weeks. The airlock nozzle was level, BTW, as I hear that is a good indication if fermentation is done.

I definitely recommend cold crashing for a minimum of the last three days. I place mine in an ice water bath in a cooler and refresh ice as needed. The majority of sediment will drop to the bottom and be cemented there so that you can move to bottling with limited amount of sediment transfer.

Back