low alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike's Brew and Brat

Reaction score
I just tasted my first batch of Amber Ale. Brewed 1 month ago and bottled 2 weeks ago. Good carbonization, great color and head. Taste great too.
But it's seems like there's not alcohol in it. Can someone help me out?
:confused:

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
I just tasted my first batch of Amber Ale. Brewed 1 month ago and bottled 2 weeks ago. Good carbonization, great color and head. Taste great too.
But it's seems like there's not alcohol in it. Can someone help me out?
:confused:

sorry.... can you clarify; help you out with what?

if you post your recipe and/or hydrometer readings, we can give you some info that might be interesting.

-walker

I didn't take any readings so I can't provide that information.

The Kit I got had an Extract for Amber ale and 1 packet of dry yeast. I also had 2 oz of Hops.
I used Corn Sugar when I bottled.

I was wondering if I needed to ferment longer. I let it stand for 2 weeks in my garage.

Is that enough information?

I reckon unless you take the readings you'll never know!

How much extract did you use and what size batch was it.
If it was a standard 2.5lb can in a 5 gallon brew then that would only be around 50% strength compared to most brews.

Does it taste sweet?

If your bottles start bursting then you'll know that it was not done fermenting when you bottled it. That can be dangerous. But if all seems fine, what makes you think it has no alcohol in it? It almost sounds like if you only had 1 can/bag of extract, the kit was supposed to only make 2.5- 3 gallons of beer, and if you made a 5 gallon batch your ABV would only be around 2%-2.5%. Most extract kits for 5 gallons use at least 2 cans or roughly 6lbs of Liquid Extract, slightly less if it used all Dry extract. Did you only have 1 can/package of extract and do a 5 gallon batch? If so, all you did was make a good session beer. :)

Well I had a 5 or 6 lb plastic bag of Malt extract and made 5 gallons.
I drank 5 bottles and didn't get the slightest buzz.

It's not real sweet. Didn't blow up any bottles.

I have a new batch fermenting now. A Hefewiezen.

Hope that's better.

Thanks for all the help. This is a great place for info.

Mike

Sweet is a relative term. People rate cane sugar 4-5 times as sweet as malt sugar for the same weight. High frutose corn sugar seems even sweeter. If you are used to soda levels of sweetness, it's hard to rate a wort. It sounds like your batch barely got started fermenting.

Well, this is just an estimate but if there was 5lbs of LME and you used a neutral average yeast like 1056, your estimated OG would have been 1.035 and FG would be around 1.008 and give you about 3.5% ABV. For 6lbs you come out a little better at 1.042 OG and 1.010 FG and 4.2% ABV so if you have a higher tolerance, or had a decent meal before drinking it, it could take you more to feel the effects of the alcohol. That is if the beer finished properly. The only way to know for sure is to take Hydrometer readings. But drink 12 and see what happens :D

word to the hydrometer. Pick one up! This will allow you to measure the alcohol content to determine whats goingo n withthe fermentation and whatnot.

FrewBrew said:
word to the hydrometer. Pick one up! This will allow you to measure the alcohol content to determine whats goingo n withthe fermentation and whatnot.

devil's advocate: throw your hydrometer away (or stick it in a closet and only use it under special circumstances, like a BIG HEAVY beer.)

:D

These are the only things I break from my equipment cache. I think I've gone through 3 of them in my career. I don't have one now, and I don't want another one. Even when I had one, I used it rarely.

I know, I know.. they can be useful... in fact, they are absolutely necessary if you want to know your ABV %. However, I think they are over-used by homebrewers. I mean... what are you going to do if your ABV is a little too high or to low in the finished product? Tweak it at a late stage or toss it? I doubt it.

-walker

I have made a few beers without one. And your right you don't need one, but I think mostly it comes from a safety standpoint. Some beers are very slow fermenters and some people may bottle them to quickly, especially if they are only doing 1 stage of fermentation. Exploding beer bottles can be a very dangerous thing. I had 1 batch start exploding, and I don't know if it was because I picked up an infection or bottled too soon, but when they would explode they would send glass flying everywhere. ABV is nice to know so you can toss it out at a buddy drinking your brew. "That one is 6.5%........" But I think mostly it is used to make sure the beer is finished.

some beer to have that problems not getting a buzz from the beer ....
most mirco brews have about 3% to 6% alcohol .....add some honey to your next batch or for a different taste add maple syurp but look out on maple syurp make sure it is true maple syurp ((no cane sugar added)) this will help

i had 1 batch that went to 12% alcohol levels..........2 / 12 oz look out lala land....lol :drunk:

mate im only a amateur too, but ive had plenty of advice...
get a hydrometer!!! that is number 1, your homebrew shop will have them, they aren't expensive. what ive found is wait 5 days, pour a sample into the test tube, if it sinks into the yellow you are done, if not, let it go another 2 days and try again. If it aint in the yellow area of the hydrometer it aint ready to drink.
If none exploded while carbonating, than I think you didn't have everything sterile, that's the main ingredient STERILILITY!!
did you open the fermenter during fermentation? did you sterilize?
hope this helps, but trust me get a hydrometer tomorrow, so you will know when your current brew is cooked!!
One other thing, buy a keg setup, you don't have to wait to drink it! :drunk: :cross: :D

mr vitamin beer said:
mate im only a amateur too, but ive had plenty of advice...
get a hydrometer!!! that is number 1, your homebrew shop will have them, they aren't expensive. what ive found is wait 5 days, pour a sample into the test tube, if it sinks into the yellow you are done, if not, let it go another 2 days and try again. If it aint in the yellow area of the hydrometer it aint ready to drink.
If none exploded while carbonating, than I think you didn't have everything sterile, that's the main ingredient STERILILITY!!
did you open the fermenter during fermentation? did you sterilize?
hope this helps, but trust me get a hydrometer tomorrow, so you will know when your current brew is cooked!!
One other thing, buy a keg setup, you don't have to wait to drink it! :drunk: :cross: :D
i agree get a keg or 2 i have 3 kegs 2 are chilled and 1 in stand by.

Back