Old goat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight's Dinner,

A whole leg of goat rubbed with Jamaican Jerk spices Slow braised and roasted in a Old speckled hen, garlic and rosemary base on a bed of roast root vegetables.

Served with a four pack of Caladonian Deuchars IPA.

Ingredients

Malts: Golden Promise and Optic.
Hops: Fuggles, Super Styrian Goldings.

Goat, huh? I was thinking about getting a few to keep my lawn under control. (I live in the country and have a HUGE lawn) SWMBO won't eat them and I won't winter them. Maybe with a really good recipe she'll develop a taste. Of course the price of gas needs to go up further and the price of goat kids need to come down.

Roasted a few goats in my time...THAT sounds like a GREAT way to do it! I will have to try it. Been as far as to dig a 6' pit and bury the goat in coals wrapped in banana leaves and burlap.

I love goat; unfortunately it is hard to come by here. I plan on raising my own for that very reason. In Latin American culture, it is quite common, especially among the islanders and across the Carribean and Bahamas in fact. It is such a tasty lean meat, which I'd love to see more of around...we usually make it in a stew that is tomato based and spicy. Usually flavored with Culantro (Recaito, a cousin to Cilantro but with a stronger depth of flavor that lasts through cooking).

Just got chickens, so hopefully goats will be next year. *shrug*. Fwiw, and along a similar topic, for a homestead they are much better animals (for meat if you raise meat goats) and for milk (milk goats) than cattle. I like independent animals :D

Orf, you should come visit. We'd have a ball with the food and beverage :D

zoebisch01 said:
Just got chickens, so hopefully goats will be next year.

Get some turkeys. They have more personality than chickens but less than goats. Chickens is sooooooo stupid...

Fingers said:
Get some turkeys. They have more personality than chickens but less than goats. Chickens is sooooooo stupid...

Lol. Yeah, but from everything I've read they are far more prone to disease and problems? I dunno, that is just what I've read. I am, however, getting some Muscovies soon....reminds me I gotta email that lady...

You know what's funny? I JUST found a place that is less than 5 minutes from me, the guy raises goat for sale. Goat, Lamb and Highbush Blueberries (the reason I found them in the first place).

Whew. I went over to this Jamaican dude's house for a party last year, and he was serving goat stew from a recently-slaughtered goat of his.

Now, I'm a fan of "gamey" meat. I hunt deer and have a freezer full of venison. So don't mistake me for a tasteless Outback Steakhouse rube when I say that it was just about as gamey as gamey gets. I couldn't eat it. Maybe it was just that particular goat, but he said that it was spot-on, so...who knows, maybe it's an acquired taste, but not for me.

Evan! said:
Whew. I went over to this Jamaican dude's house for a party last year, and he was serving goat stew from a recently-slaughtered goat of his.

Now, I'm a fan of "gamey" meat. I hunt deer and have a freezer full of venison. So don't mistake me for a tasteless Outback Steakhouse rube when I say that it was just about as gamey as gamey gets. I couldn't eat it. Maybe it was just that particular goat, but he said that it was spot-on, so...who knows, maybe it's an acquired taste, but not for me.

:D

If you get a male, they have the wonderful habit of pissing on themselves and everything around them. That makes the meat absurdly strong. However, some breeds are far stronger than others in terms of flavor to begin with (I was reading about this as I have future plans for meat goats). At any rate, the distinct flavor is stronger than just about any meat I've ever had. It is certainly an 'aquired' taste imo. You find the same thing with Goat's milk cheeses, btw. I had one small wrinkly little sucker from France (can't recall the name atm) but that thing tastes like GOAT. There are also some that you would be hard pressed to tell it was Goat's milk cheese. It seems that the characteristic is from the type of goat and especially if they are around males.

Love goat! Can't get it here commercially, even though many people raise them. I've thought about getting a few. Goats are really fond of blackberry canes and I've got acres of them.

david_42 said:
Love goat! Can't get it here commercially, even though many people raise them. I've thought about getting a few. Goats are really fond of blackberry canes and I've got acres of them.

Good to know. I have the same thing, tons of canes. Actually I was thinking of weed wacking (if it'll stand up to them) paths through them 'cause I can only pick the edges anyways. Just collected about 2 lb of the 'black caps..aka black raspberry' yesterday...the other type (long conical ones) mature late July and into August. I have acres of them too and know Goats can be pretty good to help land management, but I wasn't aware of them having an affinity to the canes. I just gotta get to fencing in the moutain so I can keep them....ugh.

Back