TOO long in the Clarifiying Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
My Belgian Wit has been in the tank for almost 4 weeks now. I have been waiting to rack to my new kegs but my kegerator supplies are late in the receiving. It spent a week in the primary and I am wondering if I am getting past the peak. Anyone who has done Wit's have any advice?

Some people leave barleywine ales in secondary for months.....

You should be alright, I wouldn't think twice about a beer on secondary for a month.......

The Brewmaster's Bible shows 2 to 4 weeks as being typical for a Wit. Then another 1 to 3 weeks for conditioning.

I don't think there's any risk that it is past its prime yet.

did about the same amount of time with my first wit and it was amazing.

as long as you were good on your sanitation going into the secondary and you don't pop it open to take a taste the beer will be fine.

just remember to keep the airlock full and the temperature somewhat stable you should be golden.

cheers! :tank:

I had my wit in a primary for a week (brewed 3/25, racked 4/1 or so), and it has been in a secondary for almost 3 weeks, I took an OG reading on 4/17 at 1.013 and it is still there today, but it has totally cleared....not really true to style and it doesn't taste at all good out of the hydrometer tube. I am not sure whether or not to try to re-suspend the sediment from the bottom of the fermenter before bottling, or just bottle it as it....any suggestions?

(Sorry to hijack your thread but the responses may help)

my recipe
6# 2-row
1# Flaked Oats
4.5# pale malt
4.5# Flaked Wheat

1oz American Kent goldings 4.2% 60' boil
0.75oz Bitter orange peel 10'
0.75oz Coriander ground 10'
zest from 1 grapefruit 5'

OG 1.076

Hey HB -
Have you ever made it down to Bent River in Moline. My uncle used to be partners with the Brew Master there when it was a home brew shop.

Back