Pitching on Notty yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
Hello,

Just finished an Irish stout and I've ordered enough ingredients to do another stout and a red (beer prices went up here). Anyways, I didn't even consider it when I bought my ingredients but I have a pack of Nottingham for both batches, but I was considering bottling and brewing tonight and repitching the stout right onto the former stouts yeast cake.

I know this is not all too uncommon, but I just wanted to get the ok that this is not a bad idea. First stouts O.G. was 1.046 and it finished at 1.011, the next one I'm upping the roasted barley from 1lb to 1.75lbs and thinking about adding a half pound to a pound of corn sugar to up the ABV. This one is going to age until St. Paddy's day. Anyways with the extra fermentables is pitching onto the yeast cake still ok?

I have done it on Notty before. It works. You should have another vigorous fermentation going in about 2 hours

I would say you are fine. The first OG was not too much higher than a starter so you should have lots of happy yeast to ferment a bigger beer now. I know you didn't mention this but just to be sure, I would not use the yeast cake for the red. Always go darker the second time.

I was actually wondering about the red but figured I'd just wing it when it came time. Thanks though, I'll make sure not to pitch the red onto it as well.

oooo I am using my plastic ale pale.... Not sure how I'd rig up a blow off on that..... Maybe I'll transfer a cup or two of the cake to my glass carboy and use that for the second batch. Not going to lie I was really just looking forward to skipping the santization of the fermenter lol. Oh well, laziness doesn't pay off in brewing I've found that out before.

I would say that you're probably over pitching. Check out the yeast calculator at mrmalty.com and it'll tell you how many mL of slurry to use.

Back