Late Extract Addition - FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanoni

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was brewing my 3rd batch yesterday, a Sam Smith Winter Welcome clone, Mini Mash recipe adjusted for full boils from Clone Brews <Maltose Express>.

I brewed as normal and during the chill <immersion chiller> when the wort was under 100deg. i took a gravity reading. expecting 1.065-1.07 and i got 1.04. Was like WTF a bunch of times. and then i realized i had not added all of the DME.

The recipe calls for 6 lbs DME and i added one 3lb bag at the beginning of the boil and forgot to add the second 3lb bag of DME. so i fired up the burner and brought it back to a boil and boiled the rest of the DME for an additional 7 minutes of boil .... but it took a while to get the wort back from 80-90deg.

i used hop bags for the 3 hop additions <60, 15, 1 mins> and i removed them from the wort during the first chill. for my first 2 brews, i just threw the hops in there.

what is going to happen to the flavor of my beer?
are the hops ruined? or did i get lucky by using bags?

gravity reading was 1.072.
"Double Chill Winter Warmer"

It seems weird that you can get 1.072 with only 6 lbs of DME. What temp were you taking the gravity readings? What size was the batch?

I did the exact same thing, let's chalk it up to more RDWHAHBing than should be while brewing. Everything was fine. I had some hops that I was going to use to dry hop, but I figured with my extra boil time, I should probably add those in at flameout of something to get a little bit extra of the hop aroma I was going to lose, but besides that, it turned out not to be a big deal at all.

It seems weird that you can get 1.072 with only 6 lbs of DME. What temp were you taking the gravity readings? What size was the batch?
He went from 1.040 to 1.072 with 6# DME. Sounds about right.

Hops utilization will be a little off, but with only 7 minutes of additional boil time, I'd be surprised if you're able to taste the difference.

You probably won't notice it. Although all the calcs I plugged this recipe into say your OG should be more like 1.052.

He went from 1.040 to 1.072 with 6# DME. Sounds about right.

Hops utilization will be a little off, but with only 7 minutes of additional boil time, I'd be surprised if you're able to taste the difference.

Thats not what he said.

The recipe calls for 6 lbs DME and i added one 3lb bag at the beginning of the boil and forgot to add the second 3lb bag of DME. so i fired up the burner and brought it back to a boil and boiled the rest of the DME for an additional 7 minutes of boil .... but it took a while to get the wort back from 80-90deg.

This is an oops!, not a fail. Your IBUs won't be impacted (because you removed the bags), but you lost SOME of the hop flavor/aroma oils. Not all that much and not a big deal in a winter warmer anyway. You can dry hop if you deem it necessary.

Just for future reference, 165F is plenty hot for mixing in extract and will kill most anything that got into your wort.

the recipe was:
3.5 lbs grain mashed with 1.5 gal at 150deg for 90 min. in a 2 gal rubbermaid cooler.

3lbs DME beginning of boil,
the other 3lbs DME -> super late extract addition.
plus i added the 1.25 cups of priming malt because im kegging and i like maltiness.

6 gallons water, boiled down to just under 5 gallons.

edit:
first grav reading 1.04 was 3.5# grain + 3# DME
second grav reading 1.072 was 3.5#grain + 6# DME + 1.25 cups priming DME. + xtra boil time

Back