DIY Thermometer and Sight Glass Combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiverDance

Reaction score
Does anyone have some DIY plans for putting together a Thermometer and Sight glass combo? I see these all the time online but ordering one and getting it shipped to the east coast of canada get a little expensive. I also actually tried to order one from bobby_m but they are all sold out :( Any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks

LD

If you try to do it in all stainless, you'll find it gets really expensive on the compression fitting. I probably have enough parts to build one more kit. Instead of an elbow off the side, it would be a straight fitting off the top. If it's for a keg, the sight won't start reading until about 3.5 gallons.

Sorry i forgot to mention that it's a HLT from a keg. I checked out bargain fittings but it doesn't seem like they include the thermometer with that setup, is this correct? It's sounds like you have what i need bobby and the 3.5 gallons really won't effect me that much. Does your setup include the thermometer? It seemed like it did on your site.

LD

Yeah, I can put together one more kit with my remaining parts. It's the Tee, thermo, 3/8" polycarbonate tube and the hardware/orings to seal it to the keg. I'd be shipping to Canada? PM me your address for a shipping quote.

Update: here's what I came up with.
customts.jpg

I got a sight glass+thermometer capable fitting from Bargainfittings and just recently got a thermometer for it. I like the setup a lot, simple and robust. I contacted Miljoco and found a local vendor that carries their thermometers. It fits perfectly and has a 5" dial.

I just checked out BargainFittings and it's $20 to ship a $19 item to Canada!!!!

:confused:

I just checked out BargainFittings and it's $20 to ship a $19 item to Canada!!!!

:confused:

The calculator is not accurate for Canada shipments. I did respond to your email just now.

I do ship to Canada for cost and send items US priority international. Most orders can be shipped in the small flat rate box up to 4 pounds for $11.00
I can generally get 3 full fitting sets in under 4 pounds.

The next two flat rate boxes are $25.00 and $32.00

For items shipping with a site glass tube it will be International priority mail.

I'll put a note on the website and remove the order option for Canada so you guys up North will know to request a shipping quote.

You should be able to pick up those parts at just about any hardware store that sells plumbing bits. I've helped several people put them together and they're really easy. If you want to use a probe thermo instead of a threaded dial thermo, you can use a 1/4" compression fitting for that and either use several o-rings, or something like this, which seems to work much better IMO. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/thermosight-twist-28815/

Let us know if you want a specific parts breakdown.

It's not like I'm worried about someone building their own.

1/4" stainless tee
thermometer with 1/4" male threads on the back
1/4" npt to compression (either 3/8 or 1/2" depending on what diameter polycarbonate tubing you choose)
1/4" to 1/8" NPT bushing
1/2" stainless washer
1/2" silicone sealing washer or oring
polycarbonate tubing.

If liverdance doesn't want the one I have pictured, it's up for grabs.

I am looking for this setup, only I am looking to fit a probe where the regular thermometer is, out to an inexpensive lcd readout. is this possible inexpensively.
show me a link to where I can find this if possible.

I am looking for this setup, only I am looking to fit a probe where the regular thermometer is, out to an inexpensive lcd readout. is this possible inexpensively.
show me a link to where I can find this if possible.
Put a compression fitting there to seal the probe. Easy.

Back