Fermometer? can it be taken off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I want to take off my fermometer, because I plan on giving the carboy some water to keep the temperature steady. Will this thing peel off and still work well? I am extremely frugal and really would rather not buy another fermometer haha.

Basically can it be taken off and still work if taped back on?

Thanks again

Patton

funny you should ask, i just ran into this situation.. The one on my Ale Pail never came off.. so I bought the fermometer for my carboy, put it in water and it had come half off by day 2 in the water.. ive reattached it since it was still sticky. If you go the "water bath" route, don't count on it sticking.

Water will probably ruin it. It did mine. I had the same delima and chose to leave it alone. I should have peeled it off instead.

yeah for anyone wondering after you get a corner or two unstuck it comes off really easily. At least off of plastic.

A water bath over time will ruin the fermometer. You can peel them off carefully, and be able to stick it back on. You will probably have to use some tape the second time to keep it secure.

Ed

I immerse mine in water all of the time. Mine have, on drying out, returned to functioning, as well as I can measure, accurately. I did try a competitor of their's, can't recall the name brand, and did not have good results. On trying to remove it, the thing delaminated. I was able to remove the remains with GooGone citrus oil solvent and a lot of elbow grease.

Back