dry hop in keg? Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
Sigh. I can't search for words that are smaller than 4 letters.
Dry. Hop. in. Keg. 3 letters or less. So please forgive me if this has been covered other places.

Anyway, I read that someone had dryhopped in the keg, using a 3" stainless steel ball hooked around the feed tubefor the beer, so I decided to do it.

The beer has been in the keg about 10 days now and each sip is just BLASTING me with raw hop flavor. I love hoppy beers but this really feels like I took some hop pellets and ground them up and mixed them in my glass.

Should this mellow out with time or should I plan on trying (coat hanger?) to remove the dryhop ball after a little while?

Thanks!

Over time the hoppiness will fade, but it might take a little while. The bitterness, however, probably won't. If its the hop flavor/aroma that is overbearing you could use less dry hops next time. If the bitterness is bad, you probably used to many hops early on in the boil. I would suggest that you man up,drink this beer and chalk it up as a lesson learned! How much did you dry hop with, what type of beer, how old is the beer and what kind of hops?

Also, I know your frustrations not being able to search for more words 3 letters or less. It can get very annoying!

Sounds like you might have used to much hops or very hi alpha. Alpha normally has to do with bittering but I have found that hi alpha hops give stronger results when dryhopping also. I dryhop in a keg all the time and usually use 1OZ per keg tied up in a sanitized paint strainer bag. They are left in the keg untill the keg's empty(2-3 weeks). The first few pours can be a little raw due to hop residue in the glass. Once the beer flows clear the flavor changes. Both pellet and leaf can be used effectively, just dont move the keg once it flows clear or the hop sediment will get resuspended.

I haven't been able to put more than about a 1/2 oz of leaf hops into a SS ball, but I'd bet you can put 3 oz of pellets in one. If you used pellets, fishing it out now is pointless.

How much hops did you use?

1 ounce of pellet centennial. I'm going to fish em out, let it settle and try to purge the hop sediment after a week or two.

Thanks guys!

I have always dry hopped in kegs by doing just this but recently decided that there was just too much bitterness later on in the life of the beer. I've just decided to drop hop for a period of time Vs. leaving the hop-ball in there for the duration of the beers life......Also- I find that much less than an ounce will do it. When I do a full Oz- the hop profile is all over the place- changing dramatically as time goes on (Or so I it seems to my palate).

I always remove the bag after 1-2 weeks. Hop aroma will fade over time, in fact, I occasionally re-hop a keg.

Sigh. I can't search for words that are smaller than 4 letters.
Dry. Hop. in. Keg. 3 letters or less. So please forgive me if this has been covered other places.

Anyway, I read that someone had dryhopped in the keg, using a 3" stainless steel ball hooked around the feed tubefor the beer, so I decided to do it.

The beer has been in the keg about 10 days now and each sip is just BLASTING me with raw hop flavor. I love hoppy beers but this really feels like I took some hop pellets and ground them up and mixed them in my glass.

Should this mellow out with time or should I plan on trying (coat hanger?) to remove the dryhop ball after a little while?

Thanks!

I dry hop in the keg all the time. I use this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/Surescreen.jpg
SureScreen
The SureScreen is a welded stainless steel screen that slips onto your racking cane or keg dip tube and filters out fruit or dry hops from the fermenter or whole hops and trub from the kettle. Also allows dry hopping to be done directly in the keg. Stainless steel construction makes it easy to sanitize (do not use bleach!). Not recommended for use with plastic racking tubes or plastic fermenters - it can cause scratching and possibly infection. Pellet hops have a tendency to clog the SureScreen - it works far better with whole hops.
$7.99
EACH

I use a stainless convectionary sugar shaker with some extra holes I drilled in it. I use whole leaf so I needed something larger than the tea ball thing, then just drop it in.

Back