Yeast out of date question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I purchased a vial of White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast at my LHBS earlier this week. They gave me a discount on it because it's expiration date was 9/20/2009. I pitched this yeast to a starter today and I'm waiting to see if there is any activity before I determine whether or not I can make use of it.

What sorts of problems might I experience with this yeast if it does come to life in the starter?

You mean 9/20/2008?

I doubt you'll have any problems. Don't forget there won't be much CO2 generated by a starter.

You mean 9/20/2008?

I doubt you'll have any problems. Don't forget there won't be much CO2 generated by a starter.

Yup... 2008 is correct. I know about the low level of CO2 in the starter, but it will lift the air lock inside piece and produce some occasional bubbles :)

I'm sure you will be fine unless the vial got to hot or something. The dead yeast in there will just become food for the living...yummy! Might want to ditch the airlock though and replace it with a loose piece of aluminum foil. That way you can get a little air exchange and some additional dissolved oxygen in the starter for better growth.

Back