IIPA Not Bitter Enough What TO DO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
So yeah, IIPA OG was 1.097 and I lost some of my early addition hops do to a slight boil over. I tried adding my other additions a bit earlier and boiled the beer a bit longer to try and make up for it. The beer is still not bitter enough and thus is a bit sweet. I'd guess it to be around 60 IBUs,for the style it's definitely off balance. Is pretty much my only option here to brew another really high gravity IIPA make it extra bitter and blend the two?

Assuming this is still in secondary, you could do a mini-boil of maybe a half gallon of water, some high alpha hops, just enough DME to help with extraction, then filter this through a french press and add to the secondary.

You'll get a little renewed fermentation due to the extra DME, but you don't need much to achieve good hop extraction.

There was an article in BYO in December about how to Build the Hopinator.

A hop on the fly where your beer passes through a chamber of hops just before it is poured into you glass. I have not read the article yet so I don't know if this would add bitterness, but I am guessing not since there is no boiling involved, but certainly would add the flavor.

Back