SMaSH??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
Well christmas brought me a barley crusher so I found a place to buy bulk and planned to buy it today.

My mind was on 55# MO and a # of amarillo. With that I was going to make my first smash. The problem is that they don't carry hops for the public and only ended up with the MO.

O.K. I got 4oz of nugget in the freezer from my back yard crop. Any suggestion on how much nugget to use and when to add them in a smash?

Also first time with whole leaf any tips? Any concerns about freshness since they were stored in standard ziplocks?

Thanks, I'm ready to crush mash and smash:mug:

Good advice, anyone use nugget as flavor or aroma? I have heard of nugget nectar but never tried it.

I would not mind adding more at the end of the boil for more nose unless there is good reason to stay away from that with nuggs.

Well I've come up with this

12# MO 1 1/2# toasted
1oz@60
1oz@15
2oz@5
us-05

Maybe a bit of a Nugget IPA. Guess I brew and find out.

If they are from your backyard I wouldn' t use them for bittering because you won' t know the IBU. Maybe buy a couple ounces from the HBS. Use your homegrown for the end.

I've used homegrown for bittering, sure your taking a chance but if you don't overdo it, what ya got to loose?

Well I'm using them because I was not able to get any hops this week. I'll take a chance and see what I get. I really don't think it will be under bittered, rather too much would be the problem. That is why I'm going with more at the end.

Back