Longest apfelwein ferment time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons going at 58F for experimental purposes. It's still bubbling away after 2 months, and I just took a hydro reading: 1.030 :D

lower temp= longer time. It shouldnt matter though- its not like there are alot of lees that drop. Maybe 2 more months to go?

I have 5 gallons going at 58F for experimental purposes. It's still bubbling away after 2 months, and I just took a hydro reading: 1.030 :D

Thanks for the numbers on this. I'm doing a batch right now that's probably gonna ferment between 55-62 just do to the cold house temps this time of year (unless Brew_MU turns on his heater). I was expecting it to take quite a bit longer...

most wine makers and expensive wineries vary the temp they ferment cold in the beginning and raise the temps as it goes along, even up to 80 deg for a short time. the varying temp offers a much bigger profile. however the hotter ferment temps can destroy the more fruity flavors or "jammy" as most call it.

if that helps any maybe... :confused: haha just trying to help.

I just posted a thread about a batch that I left for 70 days in primary. It fermented at about 64 for 3 weeks then after it cleared I let it warm up to 71. It now has a bit of a vomit sourness on the back of the palate. Not very pleasant, but I'm giving it time in the cold before I judge.

I have some that has been fermenting a month - it is now clear and no more positive pressure in the airlock. I'm guessing it's done and can be stabilized and backsweetened now? and bottled soon for aging?

I have some that has been fermenting a month - it is now clear and no more positive pressure in the airlock. I'm guessing it's done and can be stabilized and backsweetened now? and bottled soon for aging?

My rule from now in is going to be 5 weeks. I also think I'm going to try just using apple juice without any added sugar.

Back