Check my measurements - Time for secondary or bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
Hi,

I DID read the long sticky on Primary-to-Secondary. Thanks for everyone that posted. I would have added to that, but I didn't think my question or potential answers would benefit the thread.

I have two worts in primary and hope to get answers on both. If I need two posts, please let me know.

1) Belgium Wit: (Recipe follows)
9/21 Primary Start OG = 1.063 (Recipe called for 1.059 with BTP)
10/10 G = 1.013 (Recipe calls for fg of 1.015)
Still bubbling every 12 secs.
Primary in plastic pale, some bubbles on top no noticeable krausen.

I think I'm ready for secondary or maybe even bottling. Thoughts?

2) Coffee Stout (sweet stout style)
See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/og-too-high-wrong-yeast-82371/ for recipe and problems.
Brewed 9/29 OG = 1.071 (recipe called for 1.058) (lots of mistakes here)
10/10 G = 1.030
Still bubbling every 28 seconds
Primary in plastic pale, noticeable krausen.

I stirred the bottom gently to stimulate the yeast. I don't think I'm done in primary.

Add yeast?
Just wait?
Thoughts?

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Recipe for Belgium:

004 Belgium Wit
16-E Belgian Specialty Ale
Author: Internet
Date: 9/21/08

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 198.32 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 11.63 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 5.86% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 17.9 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
6.25 lb LME, UC Pale
2.5 lb Orange Blossom Honey
1.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.5 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Corriander seeds - added during mash
.5 oz Corriander seeds - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale (HBUSA)

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Brewed 9/21/2008.
OG 1.063 @ 72 degrees
Messed up adding coriander seed and Orange peel - started cooling wort and remembered. Brought wort back to boil and added ajuncts and boiled 10 min. Then re-ice bathed wort.

10/10 g = 1.130 Still in Primary

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

I'd say the Belgian is good to bottle or secondary, but leave the stout in primary at least another week, especially if you stirred up the trub.

You can follow the 1-2-3 rule pretty much without fail, but there are several brewers who don't secondary at all.

I'd say the Belgian is good to bottle or secondary, but leave the stout in primary at least another week, especially if you stirred up the trub.

Thanks for the confirmation. I re-checked the Belgian today, and it was at 1.0105 well under the expected FG and no noticeable air-lock activity. I moved this to a secondary for conditioning. I'm undecided on staying there for 2 weeks, might go to bottle after one seeing as it was on the primary so long, (and I'm dying to drink it).

I haven't bothered the coffee stout again, but am concerned that the airlock activity has all but stopped. I'll wait until the end of the week and check the grav again. It did have krausen on the top when I checked last, and hasn't hit its expected FG. Thing is, it had a higher than expected OG that I'm not 100% sure where it will end up. I looked up the yeast at WL, and if I plug in the manufactures attenuation into the calculator I've got to go to 1.15 or something. That seems pretty low for a OG that started at 1.072.

Back