SUV/Truck deals. Will the deals get any better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Seeing there are about $10-12k discounts on SUV's and trucks now. I still see huge amounts of inventory sitting on dealer lots. Does anyone feel that the deals still may get any better or has the bottom hit?

IMO the deals are there because people don't want to have to pay the weakly penalty (more ore less depending on how much you drive) for driving a SUV/Truck.

That and the depreciation is extremely high. I was talking with someone last week whose daughter has a 2006 high end SUV that was purchased for ~$55k. The price now is about $19k. The value doesn't last.

But, to answer your question, I do not think it has hit bottom yet. As long as fuel prices remain high, sales of vehicles like this are going to be low, therefore dealers/mfgs will continue to have "sales".

With 2008 coming to an end the deals can only get better , dealer parking lots are overflowing and there are actually new cars and SUVs packed into non-dealer lots all around the Detroit area .

S illy
U rbanite
V ernacular

Gas prices have come down from their peaks, and will likely keep coming down at least for a little while - which *might* renew some demand for these trucks. But, the employment situation really sucks right now, so you might see more and more people looking to downgrade. GM's back to giving away their product (their "Employee Pricing" program basically brings their gross margin down to 0%), so there's still new product being flooded onto the market.

My sense is that the market for these big trucks may not get a LOT weaker, but it's not going to strengthen anytime soon. If you *need* a big truck, you can still buy a lot of gas with $12k - but I wouldn't necessarily feel pressured to buy something this weekend, you know?

I dont know how your winters are in Iowa, but up here were we have brutal winters. SUV & other 4WD vehicles don't drop in price in the fall as do sedans and late model vehicles. You might run into a case where prices stop falling becuase winter is approaching and demand for SUVs and trucks goes up.

I agree with previous poster the high end SUVs are NOT holding there value. I knew this prior to purchasing mine knowing that I intended to drive it until it didn't have any appreciable resale value anyway. I bought mine on eBay last November. Its a 2006, was a year old and I paid $8K under blue book. Hell of a deal...If the sceanrio is right for you.

I'm not worried about it holding value as it's a vehicle I plan to keep. Yeah they suck gas but Corolla's don't haul trailers. We weren't going to buy until next year but with the discounts being so good its tough not to look now. Personally I'd like to see 18-20k discounts :)

But, to answer your question, I do not think it has hit bottom yet. As long as fuel prices remain high, sales of vehicles like this are going to be low, therefore dealers/mfgs will continue to have "sales".

+1

If you want a barometer on how things are going to go, look at the auto industry and see their responses to the changing market. It's their bread and butter to anticipate market climate and respond appropriately. There's a reason why the big automakers are dropping whole divisions. Depreciation and resale, as already stated, will be a *****. But if you're planning on driving it into the ground, no worries. :)

I drive a fullsize pick up and the millage is not very good. But I have always looked at it as a lifestyle decision. I can't bring my dirtbike around in the back of a prius or pull my old man's 22' boat. So it's kind of a price you pay in order to be able to do some of the things that you want to do.

But as for the prices... If I were a company that needed a new truck or something I would pull the trigger because the prices seem pretty good right now.

Back