How big a chest freeze for mix of Corny kegs and commercial kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I looked through EdWort's sticky above, but want to fit commercial kegs as well. Is anyone using a chest freezer that accomodates at least 3 (better yet 4) cornys as well as 2 commercial kegs AND the CO2 bottle and regulator? (No way the wife will allow an external CO2 bottle.) How big do I need to be looking?

Probably 15 cu ft or more. Are you talking pony kegs or full kegs?

Pony kegs, I'm sure. I fancy myself a manly man, but I doubt I could maneuver a full keg into a keezer (especially a tight fit) without destroying something.I think they're about the same diameter though, aren't they?

ponies come in alot of different sizes. some are like cornies and some are like shorter versions of full kegs. this is going to be a big freezer!!!! :mug:

ponies come in alot of different sizes. some are like cornies and some are like shorter versions of full kegs. this is going to be a big freezer!!!! :mug:
I guess for purposes of my question, I was assuming those squat ones that are like short full-sized kegs. One place that I'd likely get a keg from is a local brewpub that uses 7-something gallon kegs that use Hoff-Stevens taps, but I'm not sure of the form factor. I guess if I assume room for two squatties, then I'll be good with tall skinnies. ;)

I can get by with 3 cornies and two squat ponies, plus CO2 inside. Obviously I don't want to buy too much larger than I really need ($$$) but I've got room for whatever size I do need. I don't need to cram this into some limited spot.

If I were you I'd cut out cardboard cutouts of the sizes of kegs you want to put in. That way when you go to look at a freezer you can place your cutouts in it and see if you have enough room.

Back