dogfish head 60 minute IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Finally got around to trying any of their beers...

as soon as the cap was off the beer you are hit with pungent hop aroma...it dosent smell like any hops ive ever had, it has an almost cheese-like aroma, but in a good way. Very balanced taste, bitter, but not harsh like a hop-ottin (anderson valley) very smooth bitterness. Body is meduim to light. Very crisp clean tasting beer. That hop aroma is CRAZY!, reminds me of first lagunita's IPA i had...this beer is a hop heads dream. Excellent, excellent beer, im regretting not buying a sixer.

the 60 minute IPA is great. I haven't tried the 90, can't bring myself to buy a 4-pack, why don't they sell a 6'er? Is it the abv?

120 Minute IPA

Availability: limited - 3 releases scheduled for 2006

Release Date: March, Sept. & Oct. 2006

Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month & aged for nother month on whole-leaf hops!!! Our 120 Minute I.P.A. is by far the biggest I.P.A. ever brewed! At 20% abv and 120 ibus you can see why we call this beer THE HOLY GRAIL for hopheads!

20% abv

120 ibu

20% ABV? That's insane. I'm having trouble even imagining what such a beer would taste like. Not like beer, I'm guessing.

I've never tried the 120 minute, but the 60 and 90 are outstanding, like many people have said. A local restaurant with a nice beer selection recently picked up the 90 on draft and I find it an easy beer to drink too much of.

And yes, it comes in 4-packs because it's around 9.5% abv IIRC.

do they distribute the 120 out or is that something you have to get in Milton, DE?

The 120 can only be called a barleywine. I don't know their exact distribution, but I've had it in Portland. It's amazing, but only in small glasses. I think I like the 60 best, because you can drink a pint or two. I'm not into sipping beers.

HurricaneFloyd said:
do they distribute the 120 out or is that something you have to get in Milton, DE?

im pretty sure you can get it at 'total wines' or 'wines and more' or whatever those places are called in VA. Maybe even 'farm fresh', actually im positive 'farm fresh' has 'em...

i think they sell 4 packs because they can chage more that way, ive seen six packs of brooklyn breweries' barley wine, and sierra's big foot right next to 4 packs of dogfish...its just a marketing thing...

I've tried many, many IPA's that I consider head and shoulders better than Dogfish Head 60. I'm talking Smuttynose, I'm talking Lagunitas, I'm talking Acme, I'm talking Stone, I'm talking Celebration Ale.

Of course this is all subjective, but is it just me? Does anyone else think this Dogfish stuff is overrated?

I'm with you here.

I think DFH's IPAs are pretty good, but I could easily name a half dozen IPA that I personally prefer over them.

-walker

overated no...overpriced possibly. I wouldnt say its the best IPA, its definitley a good one though, on par with lagunitas (both dogtown and IPA), hop-ottin,
celebration, harpoon, bert grant's, and many others...its all good.

david_42 said:
The 120 can only be called a barleywine. I don't know their exact distribution, but I've had it in Portland. It's amazing, but only in small glasses. I think I like the 60 best, because you can drink a pint or two. I'm not into sipping beers.

Yeah, I tried the 120 too and thought it was a bit too much. My sister lives in RI and shipped me a bottle. I never thought "too much hops" was possible until I tried this puppy - definitely a sipper.

Has anyone seen the 120 yet this month? DFH updated their website, it used to say it was almost here and now it doesn't say anything about the 120!

Does anybody know of the corked wine bottles of DFH. I think it was the 90 min. the label had a guy driving a nail into his nose. I have not seen these bottles in a couple of years, but I hopping that there are still some out there.

gmeyers said:
Does anybody know of the corked wine bottles of DFH. I think it was the 90 min. the label had a guy driving a nail into his nose. I have not seen these bottles in a couple of years, but I hopping that there are still some out there.

Are you talking about Pangea or Fort? I dunno if those are in wine bottles or not....

I tried the DFH 60 Minute IPA for the first time on Saturday. After a 12 hour drive from NC to FL I couldn't wait to crack one open. My wife and I are on a quest for the perfect IPA and DFH did not disappoint. Great aroma, nice color & clarity, great hoppiness that lingered on the palate. I have had better IPAs and I've certainly had worse.
Bottom line: DFH 60 Minute IPA is delicious, but at $9.49 a six pack I can't see myself buying it again.

Jeff

Has anyone tried DFH's Burton Baton IPA? This one had me at the first sip. It's a 10 % wood aged Imperial IPA. My brew partner got them so I don't know the cost although he said they weren't cheap. This beer has me thinking about conditioning those high % hoppy ones in oak barrels. To me this one is a much easier drinking beer compared to the 90 minute version.

Daneaux said:
This beer has me thinking about conditioning those high % hoppy ones in oak barrels.
What some people do, a bit easier than finding an oak barrel, is adding oak cubes/chips to the secondary fermenter. If you don't have easy access to oak you can usually find them in your HBS in the wine section. They definitely give palpable oak flavor.

Latest posts

Back