District of Columbia Visiting Washington DC this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin79

Reaction score
Any good breweries/pubs I should check out? Im staying in old Alexandria and up for branching out a bit too if it's not terribly far.

Port City in the Cameron Station section of Alexandria.

Capital City in Shirlington

& Hops in Potomac Yards

even more and better breweries out here in Loudoun County, if you're up to traveling out near Dulles airport

Blue Jacket is a highly rated brewery near the National's stadium. I went there once after a game for dinner and a brew. I believe they are more focused on Belgium beers, but its been a year since I have been there.

DC Brau is one on the north east side of DC. I have yet to make it over to the brewery, but I have tried a few of their brews while I'm in the area.

Port City Brewing in Alexandria, VA is a good one to check out. I enjoyed all the brews I tried from them as well.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Port City in the Cameron Station section of Alexandria.

Capital City in Shirlington

& Hops in Potomac Yards

even more and better breweries out here in Loudoun County, if you're up to traveling out near Dulles airport

I'm heading down to D.C. in August with family. We are driving so a trip to the Dulles area is doable. What are some of the Loudoun County breweries you mentioned?

nearest and dearest to me are Old Ox and Lost Rhino

Ocelot is close and though I haven't been there yet, all my beer buddies rave about it

Town of Leesburg has Leesburg Brewing, Crooked Run, MacDowell's Brew Kitchen and the newest, Loudoun Brewing. brew club buddy and pro brewer just posted "good stuff" about Loudoun an hour ago

Purceville has 4 breweries - Belly Love, Adroit Theory, Corcaran and Old 690, plus 3 distilleries

2 homebrew supply stores, where they sell bottles and growlers. if you can get to Kettles & Grains in Leesburg and they still have Lost Rhino's Dark Hours bourbon barrel stout, I can't recommend it highly enough. I got a growler a week ago and it's KILLING me to not just guzzle it

Leesburg also has a store solely dedicated to selling craft beer - Craft BeerCo

while in Leesburg, try Roy Rogers roast beef, because Arby's sucks a$$

Wow! There truly are a lot of breweries there. Thanks for the info. We will definately be heading up to that area on our trip.

oh, that's not all, just most of them

there's Beltway and Sweetwater here in Sterling, Quattro Goombahs Winery & Brewery out in Aldie, Mad Horse in Lovettsville

then we can start on the nearby Fairfax County breweries... Mustang Sally in Chantilly, Lake Anne in Reston, Aslin in Herndon

This place is a little weird and really off the beaten track, but:

http://www.bardodc.com/

In the late 90's I lived in Arlington, VA and they had this great setup in an old auto garage. They brew all their own beer and serve in pitchers. A couple of years ago the guys I was friends with back then were all back in DC and we made a trip out to here. Its way out in the Trinidad neighborhood in NE. I know they are building (and it may have opened?) another location near the Nationals stadium. The one we went to was basically totally outdoors.

ok, we have several new breweries here in LoCo since I last checked

Dog Money Restaurant & Brewery, Leesburg - opened where Vintage 50/Beer Joint used to be. cask ales, if'n you're into that

Black Walnut Brewery, Leesburg - small brewery in historic district, downtown Leesburg

not to be confused with Black Hoof Brewing, opening in the same area in the fall

We got back from our DC trip a few days ago and ended up making it to Capitol City Brewing in DC, Old Ox, Lost Rhino and Ocelot in the Dulles area and Leesburg Brewing. I didnt realize Leesburg Brewing is not actually a brewery, but that was ok because the food was excellent. I have to say Old Ox was everybody's favorite. Great beer and a really fun place to hang out. We also got some delicious BBQ at Texas Jack's in Arlington. They put our BBQ up north here to shame. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

3 Stars Brewing in DC, I haven't made it there yet but want to go. If you go a little South, there is Wild Run Brewery in Stafford, VA. It's a neat little place set in a campground with a home brew shop. Even have a play ground for the kids. We are locals there.

Fredricksburg has Adventure North, Adventure South, Maltese, Spencer Devon, Red Dragon, 3 Bears and Goat and maybe a few more I don't know of.

Lorton, VA is closer to DC and has Forge Brew Works which is really good and Fairwinds which is about a mile away from there. Haven't made there yet.

Woodbridge, VA has Ornery Beer Company, haven't made it there yet.

Lots of breweries in the area....

We got back from our DC trip a few days ago and ended up making it to Capitol City Brewing in DC, Old Ox, Lost Rhino and Ocelot in the Dulles area and Leesburg Brewing. I didnt realize Leesburg Brewing is not actually a brewery, but that was ok because the food was excellent. I have to say Old Ox was everybody's favorite. Great beer and a really fun place to hang out. We also got some delicious BBQ at Texas Jack's in Arlington. They put our BBQ up north here to shame. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

so glad you enjoyed Old Ox.

Back