temp for my weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
i've got a problem. I live in an apartment. we keep the heat at around 75 F. I really want to brew a good weizen but everything tells me to brew at 65 F. I'm not really sure if I should go through with it, with the high ingred. prices. My brown ales and other ales come out great. what ya think?:(

I hate to say don't do it, though I am currently drinking a Pauliner clone from this site(can't remember whose but thank you) that was at 65 deg during active fermentation, as per the recomendation from Brewing Classic Styles weizen beer section. It is the only hef I've done, and the result is really dynamite. Still plenty of yeast character which I love. If you like Hefs though, maybe do a belgian ale or a saison, which ferment at higher temps. Saison especially, which can be hef-like depending on the recipe. Is the actual temp of your apt 75? thats pretty hot.

yeah, i know what you mean. its pretty hot. its not unbearable! hahha. however, my ales come out just fine. i dont know. i just need to figure it out i guess. I have a closet in my room that is prety cold. i need to put the thermometer in there and check it out. however, its upstairs and i dont usually like moving beers too much (ie. downstairs to the kegorator). it stirs up the trub and i think makes worse beer. i really dont know. but my beers are better after moving them to my kitchen counter and covering them with hoodies, the kitchen is 75 degrees! haha in addition to refining other brewing techniques.

Fermenting that high for a beer will probably bring out fusel alcohols that you don't want. Maybe for a hefe it may be ok, but I would try to cool it down some. I ferment all of my ales around 65 and they turn out great, including hefe's.

Here in TX in the summer I have to fight mid to upper 70s temps in the house (sometimes even into the 80s). I use a spare bathtub filled with water and switch out frozen jugs of water in there every so often. Maybe you could put the fermenter inside a rubbermade trash can or something filled with cool water. Just an idea.

I can't imagine heating my place to 75. Even with a newborn in the house we're at 68 degrees all winter. We just wear a sweatshirt or keep a blanket handy.

I have a Blonde Ale I am fermenting in the basement and I had to elevate it off the floor to get it to start fermenting because it was only at 62, now that it has started it is creating it's own heat!! I've put an old sweater on it to help hold the fermenting heat in.

Linc

Back