T-58 in Blond Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I'd like to make a citrusy, tart Blond Ale for the summer (whenever it gets here). I've used T-58 in ciders, and they turned out very nice, but I've never used it in a beer. Would T-58 give me a nice spicy flavor to go with the tartness and citrus I'd like to achieve? What other flavors can I expect from T-58?

In my experience T-58 gives a beer a somewhat Belgium profile and mild spicyness. Could be a good combo.

Light spice with a touch of tart. Some black pepper in the back. Great yeast, but watch the temps. If fermented hot this one will give lots of fusals and enough diacetyl to turn your brew into a liquid butterscotch candy.

If I kept it below 65 degrees, would I be able to avoid those butterscotch flavors?

T58 range is 59 -75 according to Northern Brewer. Anything in the lower ranges should help keep the butterscotch out. Probably somewhere around 60 to 68.

I've got a Belgian conditioning that fermented high around 72 -75. Still waiting to taste it to see if I got this problem.

If I kept it below 65 degrees, would I be able to avoid those butterscotch flavors?

Yes, it isn't a flavor representative of the yeast. My ferment temp was too high. It was in a 65° room with no temp control. Got back from a weekend trip and the internal temp was 78°. Oops :( It will ferment clean with the expected flavours at the proper temps. The flavours do take time to round off. The pepper wasn't immediately noticeable, and all was overpowered by the diacetyl and hot fusals. I'd leave this yeast on the cake to clean up and round off the spice notes. YMMV

Latest posts

Back