Is my first beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the type of yeast used - some are top fermenting, others are bottom. If it smells good it is likely simply a thriving yeast culture. Typically infections do not generate that large of a mass, or if they do the smell is noticeably bad.
Have you taken gravity readings for a few days? Even for top fermenting, normally the yeast will settle once it has finished fermentation. This much on the surface would make me question if it is truly done fermenting.

I took a gravity reading of it and it came out to be ~1.04. Which is what the kit said it should be. It was a cream ale from Northern Brewer.

It's just krausen & hop debris floating on top. It'll settle out eventually. And 1.04? That'd be 1.040,more like an OG than an FG. You sure you're reading the hydrometer scale right?

How long has it been in the primary fermenter for? I would give it a few more days and take another reading until they level out

It should start settling out soon. Although once in a while,they hang around forever. I've never had one that didn't settle out myself,but no harm done either way.

I took a gravity reading of it and it came out to be ~1.04. Which is what the kit said it should be. It was a cream ale from Northern Brewer.

Can you take another reading, and take a photo so we can take a look? 1.040 isn't correct, but I'm not sure if the hydrometer was stuck to the side or wasn't floating, etc. If you can have us take a look, then we would be much more able to give good advice.

I've had krausens stick around like that after fermentation is over, but it's not common.

Like others have said, 1.040 seems like an og. Especially for your first beer. 1.004 also seems pretty low if that's what you meant. If it's 1.004, then it's probably done.

What was your starting gravity?

Back