How snobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO people that are so snobby they wouldnt even try it because of who brewed it are too busy being worried about what everyone else thinks of them, personally I could care less so, to answer the op I drink what I think is good. Sometimes I just want a lawnmower beer to pound and sometimes I want a delicious craft to sit back and enjoy, no matter whos brewery it came from.

I can't because that is mutually exclusive. You don't go in to business to exchange jabs with the competition, you go in to business to make money and bury the competition. It's not pretty, it's not fun, but that's the way it works.

I think (at least I hope) most brewers, and artisans of many things in general, go into business because they love their craft, and they want to share it with people, not to make money. If they are in it for the money would they really choose brewing as a means to make a huge profit? I doubt it. We lost our way when business itself became an occupation.

If I am thirsty...and someone offers me a cold beer....I'm drinking it.

The majority of my bottles are from Michelob specialty beers and Sam Adams and I enjoyed drinking everyone of them.

Meh, I almost bought a mixed 12'er of Bud the other day. I had the same thing go through my mind. After all it's really not hard to make an earth shattering IPA. They could pull it off if they wanted to.

"I think it's kind of like teens with bands that "sell out" by doing albums when it comes to beer. It's childish to say "they got as big as Bud,they suck forever now"!!! It takes years of work not taking any or very little pay for yourself to biuld a successful brewery. If a craft brewer gets big,yea for them! As long as I still like it,I'll still buy it."

-Just remember, Budweiser was a craft beer once, about 150 years ago, and grew into part of the InBev empire.
I drink what tastes good, but if everything is equal I tend to support local small breweries to support the little guys. Crappy beer, whoever makes it, is still crappy beer. I too considered buying one of the Budweiser 12 packs, but didn't want to buy the entire 12 pack to try each of the beers when they might have been bad for all I knew.

"I think it's kind of like teens with bands that "sell out" by doing albums when it comes to beer. It's childish to say "they got as big as Bud,they suck forever now"!!! It takes years of work not taking any or very little pay for yourself to biuld a successful brewery. If a craft brewer gets big,yea for them! As long as I still like it,I'll still buy it."

-Just remember, Budweiser was a craft beer once, about 150 years ago, and grew into part of the InBev empire.
Spot on

I think that the craft brew/home brew movement is about more than creating/accessing great tasting beer. While the quality of the beer is uber important, I think folks who pursue craft beer and brew home beer are also making a statement.

Craft beer lovers are making a statement that they will support small, creative, dedicated brewers who value beer in and of itself over large, soulless corporations who value beer only so far as it creates revenue.

Budweiser could put out a great IPA and I still wouldn't buy it for the same reason I don't shop at Walmart even though I could save some money - the principal is more important than the product.

Left to their own devices, Budweiser would make panther piss if that's what they could sell the most of. I can't support that- you shouldn't either.

I don't think that's snobby, I think it's sensible to support those things that make our lives better and reject those things that don't.

That being said, while I won't drink a Bud product even with a gun to my head, I have had some of the Michelob specialty beers and they weren't half bad.

I know your post is tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think AB could ever afford to produce a beer that I thought was the best brew I ever tasted.

I still like a frosty bottle of Miller High Life from time to time.
Heck, I even knock back cans of Tecate Light throughout the year.

If I like it, I like it. I don't care who makes it.

mjdonnelly68 said:
That being said, while I won't drink a Bud product even with a gun to my head, I have had some of the Michelob specialty beers and they weren't half bad.
Really, you'll martyr yourself over a beer? :lame:

I prefer to support local/small craft beer breweries, and given the chance that is what I do. But there have been times when the best thing available was a Blue Moon, and so it is what I have bought.

I suppose I ought to check out the Beer Wars movie as I'm not exactly aware of what they did to their competition. It's obviously something similar to what WalMart did to the little local guys, which makes me mad. I try not to go to WalMart, but, again, there are just times when there's not much available or time is short.

i buy what i like.

i don't buy what i don't like.

i don't get into all the other silly games, and i don't care who made it, or how big, or little, they are.

if it's good, and i like it, i buy it.

This.

I drink what tastes good, but if everything is equal I tend to support local small breweries to support the little guys. Crappy beer, whoever makes it, is still crappy beer. I too considered buying one of the Budweiser 12 packs, but didn't want to buy the entire 12 pack to try each of the beers when they might have been bad for all I knew.

Hippo may have his own reasons, but this, what pdxal is getting at. It's the punk rock paradox. So many times we see it. Once that awesome punk rock garage band that you could only get their homemade CDs from if you went to their concert in the back of coffee shop slash used book store gets on the radio and puts out a CD with cover art that wasn't drawn in Sharpie on the back of beer bottle ring stained index cards, well, that's it, now they suck. Same band. Same music. Same damn songs even. Everything same same. But now they're popular, so screw them.

Whatever. I drink what I want.

Really, you'll martyr yourself over a beer? :lame:

I'd martyr you for a beer. :fro:

I choose to support local and craft breweries more than the BMC. I do live in the Chicago area so Goose Island which was bought by AmBev still has some really good beers. Many of my friends are craft fans as well but when having a big party you will always see BMC beers.

When there is a choice I go craft but sometimes I have to choose of BMC and when I do I choose Coors. When you look in my fridge you will never find Coors. You will find Founders, 3 Floyds, Schafly, and Rouge (at this exact moment).

I don't support BMC because their companies trying their best to maximize their profits. I only support beer companies whose interests lie in giving away free beer and don't give a damn about profits.....of which there are none. If you believe Sam, Ken, Jim, etc. aren't as concerned about profit and growth as the BMC execs in their ivory towers, you're sorely mistaken.

I skipped a lot of posts to bring up what I *hope* is something unmentioned. The scenario you present would lead me to say "holy crap people are changing their minds about beer... awesome". If BMC is putting out a beer that brewers and beer enthusiasts are really enjoying, that means that the largest beverage corporations on the planet are able to SELL said beer on a massive scale. If BMC wants to change the color of the barcode on the back of the bottle, they dont do so without extensive market research.

This would mark the beginning of a renaissance...

I may open up a can of worms here but, what the hell.

A trusted friend of yours gives you a bottle with the label covered and says "you have to try this, this is the best IPA/Light Lager/English Pale ale, Bock, Insert your favorite style here, ever" You proceed to pour and have a drink. You can't believe how good it is, this is the only beer you have tasted that you would give a 45 to. This, in your opinion is the best beer ever brewed and you devote you allegiance to it on the spot and want to rename your first born after it. Excitedly you ask your friend what is the name of this? Who makes it?
Your friend says this is blah blah blah brewed by Anheuser Busch!

Your jaw drops, the best beer you ever tasted belongs to the evil corporation that has been producing crap beer for years. The same company that you vowed never to support in any way due to its inferior product and its treatment of smaller brewers. What to do?

I know most on here have swore off the big boys. Well because their beer sucks. But what if? What if they made a beer that was excellent, a beer that was winning competitions? What would you do? Would you give up your boycott and buy or would you forgo the best beer you ever had?

Good Beer is good beer. In fact I'll quote my bartender,
"If you like it then it's good beer, if you don't like it well then it's not so good"

I just like good beer. I'd rather buy from Northern Lights, 12 string, Bi-Plane, or one of the other locals here, but sometimes I'd like a Shock Top. I try to buy it from our local independent store, just to support local business.

Those of you that are saying too big, must buy local, must support local, I'm curious. How do you get your news. On line at Yahoo or MSN? Or do you support your local newspaper.

Good Beer is good beer. In fact I'll quote my bartender,
"If you like it then it's good beer, if you don't like it well then it's not so good"

and I'll quote my face after a huge night of nothing but Fuller's Porter @ $1/bottle: BWraaaaghhgghhhpt. and I'd do it again @ $1/bottle.

The problem with this thread from the OP is "what if". It's like asking a one track mind business man to suddenly stop to make something that doesn't have profit margins in mind for the first time in his life and for no apparent reason. He's just not ready for it, and it doesn't make any sense. Besides this, I don't care who makes what, but there is usually a pattern that can be trusted. Which is why I have went out of my way to try new Left Hand brewery beer and I have avoided Wachusett beers I haven't tried.

So what if I pooped a gold turd once in a while.

I will not support InBev or MillerCoors. I fit into the 25% who say they're an evil corporation. Maybe when the market is back to a reasonable level and say Macros control 60% of the Market and craft controls 40% (BTW I would be against Sam Adams or Dogfish if they ever got to AB's size) thne maybe I'd consider it.

Thankfully AB's concern over the bottom line means I'll never have this conundrum, since the only good brews they own are former crafts like Goose Island.

And what sort of non-corporate computer are you using to access your non-corporate internet?

Just giving you a hard time, I had to stop myself from telling a stanger Blue Moon isn't craft beer yesterday. Of course I want to yell at people who buy meat at the grocery store...:drunk:

And what sort of non-corporate computer are you using to access your non-corporate internet?

Just giving you a hard time, I had to stop myself from telling a stanger Blue Moon isn't craft beer yesterday. Of course I want to yell at people who buy meat at the grocery store...:drunk:

yell away, cowboy.:D

If someone gave me a bottle of the best beer I'd ever had, I'd make it my #1 beer, regardless of who brews it. Brand patronage is foolish.

I don't drink it. This isn't a very profound thought exercise. I don't drink AB-InBev products on principle. Taste has nothing to do with it. Some don't have the same sense of principle. More power to them. Drink what you want for whatever reasons you want.

It just comes down to priorities, not necessarily principle. I buy craft and local when I can, but if AB makes a good product I'll buy it. That's not my problem, that's the craft beer's problem. It's your job to win me over as a consumer. .. Do a better job then. It's a fight I'll fight when I can but my priorities are different than some and I'll choose a different fight.

But Bud=Michelob. Same company, so I don't see the distinction. :confused:

Same corporate ownership, but not the same brand. I was just pointing out that while Bud is uniformly nasty, Michelob (owned by the same folks) actually makes an effort to throw out some interesting beer.

Back