Duvel clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshtorres28

Reaction score
Just did a duvel clobe and didnt get even close to o.g. That was listed in recipe, and my wyeast yeast I thought I broke the packet but when went to pitch was not broken so I opened it and mixed then pitched will this mesd up my beer?

The O.G. thing is a bit of a concern. Were you supposed to add extra sugar? Isn't Duvel something like 8%, that's going to take a lot of fermentibles.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean about the yeast.

Yeah I had 6.5 lb of light dme, 1 lb of candi sugar, 1.33 lbs of corn sugar, 1/2 lb of german light crystal malt, 4 oz of belgian aromatic malt. After mt boil and I added the rest of water to get my 5 gallons it was 1.050 and the og was suppose to be 1.079-1.082. And I even added 7lbs dme instead of the 6.5

I bought the wyeast activator pack that you snap to activate it, the pouch didn't break, so when it was time to pitch I had to cut open the pouch mix it then pitch.

If you used extract and sugar, then you did NOT miss your O.G. It is impossible to "miss" a predicted OG with extract unless you use the wrong amount of ingredients, or too much water. What happened was that your extract and sugar was not fully mixed with the water in your wort. This is very common, because sugar is much heavier than water, and tends to stay at the bottom of the fermenter. Unless you mixed the wort EXTREMELY well before taking your gravity reading, it is likely that the sample you took from the top of the fermenter did not have the sugar and extract fully mixed in.

By the way, this is pretty normal, and will not affect your beer...

As for the yeast, It should not matter if the smack pack was not mixed/swelled prior to pitching. As long as you used good sanitation, the nutrient in the smack pack will mix in with the wort and yeast, no problem.

My biggest concern with the yeast is that you did not pitch enough. For a 1.080 beer, you really would need 2 of those "smack packs" of yeast, or you would need to grow more yeast in a starter for best results.

Since you are making a Belgian style, the esters from under-pitching the yeast should not be as bad a problem as they could have been. They would be out of place in many other styles, but Belgians are often a little "funky", so it should not seem that unusual in this beer.

DrummerBoySeth said:
If you used extract and sugar, then you did NOT miss your O.G. It is impossible to "miss" a predicted OG with extract unless you use the wrong amount of ingredients, or too much water. What happened was that your extract and sugar was not fully mixed with the water in your wort. This is very common, because sugar is much heavier than water, and tends to stay at the bottom of the fermenter. Unless you mixed the wort EXTREMELY well before taking your gravity reading, it is likely that the sample you took from the top of the fermenter did not have the sugar and extract fully mixed in.

By the way, this is pretty normal, and will not affect your beer...

As for the yeast, It should not matter if the smack pack was not mixed/swelled prior to pitching. As long as you used good sanitation, the nutrient in the smack pack will mix in with the wort and yeast, no problem.

My biggest concern with the yeast is that you did not pitch enough. For a 1.080 beer, you really would need 2 of those "smack packs" of yeast, or you would need to grow more yeast in a starter for best results.

Since you are making a Belgian style, the esters from under-pitching the yeast should not be as bad a problem as they could have been. They would be out of place in many other styles, but Belgians are often a little "funky", so it should not seem that unusual in this beer.

Even if I used a belgian strong ale yeast

Joshtorres28 said:
Even if I used a belgian strong ale yeast

Which part are you questioning? The amount of yeast? Yes you would still need 2 or a starter of appropriate size. Because its a strong ale yeast it can deal with the higher ABV and keep chugging. That doesn't mean you still shouldn't pitch appropriate amounts.

Draken said:
Which part are you questioning? The amount of yeast? Yes you would still need 2 or a starter of appropriate size. Because its a strong ale yeast it can deal with the higher ABV and keep chugging. That doesn't mean you still shouldn't pitch appropriate amounts.

So should I go buy another pack tomorrow and pitch that or wait till I transfer to secondary

Back