Good time to take up home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16466646

I realise not all of you may be able to see that, as the BBC are a little anal on what content they allow for international viewing of or not.

It boils down to an initiative on reducing binge drinking. They are considering things like:

Lowering VAT in pubs and making landlords responsible for drunks.
Increasing VAT and duty on super market alcohol sales.
Lowering ABV of beers and wine.
Raising the drink age limit.
... and so on...

All boils down to beer becoming more expensive.

My friend, anytime is the right time, to become a homebrewer. I don't think there are too many countries that don't use oppressive tax and regulation to control alcohol. Without getting into that discussion, I will say that once you become a homebrewer, you probably won't go back!!!

Cheers
:mug:

~rc~

Also, don't forget that when Iran nukes Israel, kicking off the highly-anticipated "Apocolypse 2012," homebrew beer is going to be in incredibly high demand, making us the wealthy merchant barons of the new millenium. Just start stocking your bomb shelter with extract kits!

It's always a good time to take up home brewing!

Interesting read. There are other suggestions listed besides what you give here. And some of them aren't likely to increase the price.

What it comes down to is a cultural norm. The article suggests that the binge drinking is happening in the home, due to sales from the store. Not sales at a pub.

It seems to me to be a proactive effort coming from someone who wants to control others, which is even worse than someone giving advice. Truth is, some people are very more likely to overindulge than others. Many of the suggestions might curb some of this behaviour, but certainly not all, by a long shot. And it unfairly punished those who aren't a problem.

I think one of the most telling statements in the article is:

A spokeswoman suggests: "Evidence from America clearly demonstrates that raising the legal drinking age has a significant positive effect on alcohol-related problems."

This is the direct opposite of what the vast majority in America think of young drinkers here. They see the European model of allowing young people a mild drink now and again as a way of setting up proper drinking behaviour.

The bottom line is that things will get better when people in public places can inform others they've had too much. In the home, they can mind their own business.

The only way you can demonize binge drinking ad curb it's stain on society is by keeping the people YOU know personally accountable for their actions.
Example: guy at work tells you he got black out drunk last weekend. You respond: your irresponsible behavior and lack of self control makes you come across as untrustworthy and immature. Everything in moderation, buddy.
But, I digress. The best time to home-brew is yesterday!
Happy brewing!

In my local town, the people who drink in their homes don't bother me in the slightest.

Come 1am on a Friday or Saturday the High Street is another story all together. Vomit everywhere, chip/kebhab wrappers everywhere. At least 3 or 4 people passed out against walls.... etc. etc. Because as you rightly point out the default culture for a night out in the North of Ireland is to:

Start at 7pm with a carry out of 4-6 beers or cider or a bottle of wine.
Go to the pub around 10pm
Drink about 5-6 pints.
Stumble home or to a party for more.

The local police and bar associations made a deal, instead of providing adequate police cover for bars to close up between say, 12 and 4am they will over-police the street and... wait for it... let out all 10-12 bars at once. At 1:00am-1:30 the entire street is full to bursting with drunk a$$holes, we are talking about 2000-3000 drunks in one street.

I have witnessed riots happen spontaneously.

Very few of their measures will help this.

Back