Beginner's question about water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psorgatz

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I have a question regarding the type of water i use for my brewing, actually more specifically on sanitizing my brewing equipment. I know I should be using good drinking water for the recipe, which i certainly do not have running out of my faucet, so I must buy water from the store. But my real question is water quality important for sanitizing all of my brewing equipment? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am a beginner (my first batch of beer ever is going to be bottled this weekend.) I am just a little anal about this and want to make sure that I have every detail covered. Thanks in advance to all that can help me out.

I bought about 7 gallons of spring water from wal mart for my first brew. It turned out great,given all other factors of coarse. But I do feel that if you find spring water that you think taste really good it will work good for beer too. I got 7 gallons instead of just 5 because I put like 2 or 3 into the fridge and kept the others at room temp. used some for steeping grains and then when I added my wort to the fermenter I used a mix of room temp and cold water to bring my wort to like the exact range for pitching yeast rather then risk being too warm or cold and having to wait. I just added a combo of room temp and cold water until my lab thermometer read like 70-72 F for ale yeast. I feel this method worked out really well for me IMO. I am new to this but my first brew turned out great and I feel this was a contributing factor
as far as sanitizing goes, I just used tap water.I mix my sanitizer with my tap water in a empty 1 gallon jug.I personally do not think it matters what water you use to sanitize with because that isnt going to make up a relevant factor in your beers taste and star san and easy clean both pretty much loweres the pH and raises the acidity in the water to a level that makes the water kill anything. thats just me, and i am new. maybe a most exp. brewer has a better take on that

If you have chloramines or chlorine in your water, using a no-rinse sanitizer means leaving chlorine on your equipment. I'd rather use one gallon of distilled water and mix up some star-san with it. One gallon is plenty, so you can cover each item or even put some in a spray bottle and spray it on. Then, pour it back in the jug the water came in and save it. You can save it for months and months if you mix it up with distilled water. That's what I do.

if you feel like spending the extra $1 and lugging around an extra gallon of water from the store, go ahead and use store bought water for sanitization, it just isn't necessary. ****...i use tap water for my brews!

Tap is fine to mix up most sanitizers. Star San is acid based, so as long as it develops the ultra low pH, it'll work fine. Idophor (which I use) will also work fine in tap water.

If you're worried about chlorine and chloramines, I wouldn't. A few drops of aquarium sodium thiosulphate (dechlor) will neutralize it. If the water is just chlorinated, simple boiling will evaporate it off.

I use distilled water for mixing star-san. I find it lasts a very long time with out losing it's potency. When I have used tap water it tends to cloud up in about a month.

Back