Secondary fermenting in the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I realized, I didn't top of my carboy after I put the IPA in it and there is more than two inches from the top of the carboy to the beer. It has been sitting there for about three days. Is this a cause for concern? Should I open my carboy, and it top it off, or just let it sit until the end of the two weeks? Also, is it ok that there are no bubbles in the airlock?

popscube

It's fine. Normally when you rack over some C02 is going to come out of suspension and form a blanket over your beer. I've never topped up a beer except after boiling (since I'm doing concentrated boils) and then only to reach the intended OG.

In fact, I'd think that fresh water into the secondary would probably introduce more O2.

Moon

Call it a clearing tank. Very few beers undergo secondary fermentation and no bubbles is quite the norm. In fact, if you do get fermentation in the clearing tank, you probably racked too early.

Also, unlike wine, never top off brews except at the beginning of the fermentation.

Latest posts

Back