Making a Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbrewer1

Reaction score
well i just got a 5 gallon rubbermaid round cooler for free from my brother in law and am looking to turn it into a mash tun. i am wondering what the best option to go with as far as the manifold. I am thinking the steel braid but also thought about just doing cpvc as it will be pretty inexpensive. i would like to hear peoples thoughts on what would be best to use.

well i just got a 5 gallon rubbermaid round cooler for free from my brother in law and am looking to turn it into a mash tun. i am wondering what the best option to go with as far as the manifold. I am thinking the steel braid but also thought about just doing cpvc as it will be pretty inexpensive. i would like to hear peoples thoughts on what would be best to use.

I started with the steel braid.. had a few stuck sparges. went to the hot water intake line ( bigger stainless braid) no more stuck sparges... went to a copper manifold...even better. I would assume the cpvc would be the same as the copper.

It really depends on your sparge technique. If you're going to be batch sparging, either would work. If you're going to fly sparge you need a manifold/false bottom that won't cause channeling.

For me, the SS braid works great - easy with batch sparging, cheap, easy to clean, etc.

I would say there really is no "best" option. but i prefer false bottoms or copper piping for things due to the stability of the materials. you don't have to worry about knocking it around if it's sturdy.

are there any possible issues as far as cpvc causeing off favors or odd tastes that i should know of? if not i can always upgrde to copper later when the money situation gets better

i started with cpvc, and i don't have any problems except a twitch on my right side... i mean my left.. wait.. i can't remember which side it's on

I ordered a steel braid today from northern brewer since i always get a stuck sparge with my false bottom, will this work ok with a fly sparge?

Latest posts

Back